The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Grasshopper question.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: grass seed in my garden...HELP!!!!| Next thread: grasshoppers »
Back to Thread index
by reguy on September 04, 2005 12:57 AM
Okay...I admit...all I know about bugs are:
ladbybugs and bees = good.
anything else = bad.
Three days ago, I plucked off a big green caterpillar resembling thingy off my bell pepper plant. The plant had been munched on pretty dang bad. [tears]
Today, the plant still looks like it's been munched on further. I looked around and found a 3 inch long grasshopper hanging upside down on the plant.

-

Sooo...my question is... Is the grasshopper there waiting to prey on the caterpillars and other bad bugs? Or is the plant getting chomped on by the grasshopper? I was under the impression grasshoppers are predatory bugs.

Steve
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 05, 2005 11:00 AM
I believe grasshoppers eat vegetation. They are always in my garden late in the season! Can't really help ya. [dunno]

-
by Longy on September 09, 2005 03:13 AM
That aint no grasshopper, it's a preying mantis and yes they are a beneficial insect. They eat aphids.(Amongst other things) There may be an actual grasshopper which is eating your plants but that aint it.
Your assumption that there are two good bugs and the rest are all bad is a little inaccurate. The majority of insects are either beneficial or don't directly affect us and our gardens. The number of pests is a tiny percentage of all bugs. A well balanced garden will naturally control most of these pests. Birds and other insects such as wasps are the control agents used in nature. If you provide a permanent water supply you will attract these helpers. Poison sprays unfortunately tend not to discriminate between good and bad.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 09, 2005 08:02 AM
I don't see anything but stems and leaves LOL!

-
by melcon6 on September 09, 2005 10:09 AM
I never knew how much damage grasshoppers could do until last year. Seems I've got TONS more grasshoppers than I've ever had before. They eat foliage off of a lot of my plants, basil and my wonder egg plant especially.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by reguy on September 10, 2005 12:18 AM
Thanks guys!

As Langy pointed out...I guess I really don't know my bugs. [nutz] I Googled a photo of a preying mantis, and lo and behold, realized that what is was. See, learn something new every day!

Well, it's been intermittently hanging upside down on the same pepper plant for about a week now. It doesn't seem to be afraid of me. So hopefully he (or she? [Roll Eyes] ) is guarding my plants.

Thanks!
Steve [Wink]
by MaryReboakly on September 10, 2005 04:30 AM
That's awesome Steve - I have one - just saw it about 2 weeks ago. It's the first one I've seen since I was a kid - seriously. May be I just wasn't looking, I dunno - but I do know they're good to have around, and cool looking to boot [Wink]

I also noticed that my grasshoppers are eating foliage of plants that aren't healthy or are on their way out...so I'm starting to see the reality of insects leaving healthy plants alone but eating those that aren't healthy that I've heard here so many times by the gardening greats - it kind of makes sense in the whole cycle of life if you think about it - at least it did to me -- but I digress... [Embarrassed] [Wink]

-
 -
by Longy on September 10, 2005 03:36 PM
So hopefully he (or she? ) is guarding my plants.

+++++++++++++++++

'She' by the look of her. (Betcha didn't think i could tell from here....) The female is considerably bigger and will actually rip the males' head off and eat him in order for them to mate. Don't you just love dominant women?????

Going back to your original post, the caterpillar was probably the culprit. Though it is a bell pepper and the leaves are not much good to you anyway. As long as they are not in large numbers, If you see the critter, ( the caterpillar ) keep an eye on it and see what it does. They sometimes turn into the most beautiful moths or butterflies and for the price of a few pepper leaves are well worth the wait.

-
The secret is the soil.
by MaryReboakly on September 10, 2005 10:23 PM
[lala]

-
 -
by tkhooper on September 10, 2005 10:31 PM
I had a baby praying mantis earlier this year but it didn't "stick" around.

Ok shoot me. I couldn't resist lol.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: grass seed in my garden...HELP!!!!| Next thread: grasshoppers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: