The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Preferred method of picking spinach

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: praying plant help!| Next thread: Pregnant Onion »
Back to Thread index
by lakegran on June 07, 2006 01:16 AM
I have been picking spinach since mid May, I am getting such a lot coming on now that I thought maybe I could skip a step by picking just the leaf and leave the stem.
Could this be bad for the plants?
Does anyone else pick this way?

-
by obywan59 on June 07, 2006 03:04 AM
I plant a lot of spinach, so I don't take the time to pick leaf by leaf. I just take a big knife and grab a plant with my left hand and cut it off leaving about an inch or inch and a half at the base so it will regrow. I also don't worry about the stems. I cook them also.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Longy on June 07, 2006 07:15 AM
I always harvest spinach and silverbeet by taking the outside leaves, usually cutting the stem of the individual leaf an inch or two above the ground. When you say skip a step, i guess you mean the step of removing the stem after you've picked it. Better to remove it i think and discard, compost , or feed it to your worms if you don't wanna eat it. I eat it.
Chickens love spinach and it makes their egg yolks really orange. Know anyone with chooks?

-
The secret is the soil.
by lakegran on June 08, 2006 07:31 AM
Thanks. I don't know why I don't eat the stems, these are certainly tender. Silly Me [lala]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: praying plant help!| Next thread: Pregnant Onion »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: