The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomato Plants Have Aphids

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tomato Plants going nuts!!| Next thread: tomato plants pruning? »
Back to Thread index
by comfrey on June 05, 2006 05:39 PM
Ok...I need help with this one...I noticed aphids on my tomato leaves tonight....How can I get rid of them???? Mine are just starting to bloom and I have a few marble sized tomatoes. These are Brandywine tomato plants.

-
 -
by Longy on June 05, 2006 06:15 PM
Just rub them off with your fingers or squirt them off with a jet from the hose.
Lay off the high nitrogen ferts and consider a side dressing of potassium rich fertiliser to keep them from having lush green growth which is a lure to aphids.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Wrennie on June 06, 2006 12:50 AM
Attract ladybugs. They love aphids. Lawn centers should have ladybug attractant.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by weezie13 on June 06, 2006 01:01 AM
Squeeeeeeeeeze'em!!
Squishhhhhhhhhhhhh'em!!
Then spray'em off..
And watch daily!!!

Whatchya' been doing with the growing requirements Comfrey?
Aphids' lovvvvvvvvvve fresh, new tender green growth??
Too much nitrogen usually??????
*ie; ferts or manures??*

(man, my tomato plants are just wee~one's right now) [Eek!] [Wink]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by johnCT on June 06, 2006 01:07 AM
Insecticidal soap works on aphids Comfrey.

John - Zone 6
by comfrey on June 06, 2006 08:29 AM
I used some composted manure around the plants recently, but not all of them and they are all effected...Spraying them off with the water hose has not worked very good. My mom suggested I spray them with 'seven' but I really don't want to have to do that if I can find another way. Also I see lady bugs in my garden...so they are there...just too many aphids for them to consume [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on June 06, 2006 11:26 AM
I despise aphids and whiteflies SO MUCH, but even worse, is whatever bug is making lacy holes in my mints and roses.
I can't and won't poison because the wild rabbits I feed sometimes nibble.
The ladybugs I bought all left in two days, what a waste of $7.99 for a few ladybugs. Sigh....
Anyone have any suggestions for a wildlife safe something that I can use for the hole makers?
I wonder what they are. Sure not happy about them.

-
 -
by dodge on June 06, 2006 12:51 PM
make a mix of dish detegant and water.
Say teaspoon to a quart.......Then squirt. Under the leaves till they are soaked .

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Deborah L. on June 06, 2006 05:07 PM
OK, I'll try it, and thanks, Dodge.

-
 -
by Longy on June 06, 2006 05:59 PM
Also I see lady bugs in my garden...so they are there...just too many aphids for them to consume
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
The young ladybugs consume aphids too. They're little critters, i'm sure there's a foto out there somewhere.
The numbers can build up pretty quickly so you'll probably find it'll balance. On heavily infested new growth, i just snip the growth off. Tomatoes come back pretty quick and you get a bunch of aphids in no time.
Or as John suggests, insecticidal soap is a pretty gentle way to go. They're soft bodied insects and as such are pretty susceptible to soap sprays.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Stormysgrandma on June 07, 2006 09:55 AM
Last summer I discovered Garlic Barrier. It's a natural insect repellant that works great on everything except Japanese Beetles. It is made from pure garlic oil. It has made a big difference in the insect damage in my garden, and the garlic smell only lasts about an hour.

Note: Don't use garlic spray on anything that requires bee pollination - during the pollination period.

Stormy
by Stormysgrandma on June 07, 2006 09:57 AM
oops - I forgot to say that the garlic spray does not harm people or wildlife.

Stormy
by pagarden on June 07, 2006 02:24 PM
i used the dish soap diluted in water with my indoor plants this past winter. it worked great. and i didn't have to worry about poison being in the house. oh- and it was cheap! [Smile]
by 'Sparagus on June 07, 2006 03:01 PM
Blasts from the hose has really worked well for me on my okra and roses. It's amazing really! But they do come back so check every day. They really dont like it! [Big Grin]

[flower]
by Frisha on June 09, 2006 01:51 AM
I use the hose as well blast them off about every day if they get infested then only if I see any works well for me.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tomato Plants going nuts!!| Next thread: tomato plants pruning? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: