The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Planting Today !!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Deborah L. on June 04, 2006 08:36 AM
Today I bought a yellow pear tomato plant, a bell pepper, Quinalt strawberries, more peppermint and spearmint and am gonna have a blast planting today !
Also got another Meyer lemon and a pot for it.
Thanks all for the encouragement to try a veggie container garden again ! [flower]

-
 -
by Firstyeargardener2006 on June 04, 2006 09:22 AM
It seems alot better sometimes to grow them in containers. You can always move them if they need more sun.

I have 2 right now 1 strawberry, pepper with tomatoe (patio) together in one container hopefully I will be moving that soon.
As for my stawberry one it did not seem to be getting any sun so I moved it. I love container gardening.

Good luck.
Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by Deborah L. on June 04, 2006 09:33 AM
Me too, Nicky, and thanks !
I know the yellow pear tomato will get huge, but it's in a 24 inch pot a tree can grow in. Should be OK.
Glad to meet someone else who loves container gardens !

-
 -
by Sorellina on June 04, 2006 11:30 AM
Ciao Deborah,

Well I'm glad it's big enough for a tree because Yellow Pear Tomatoes can become monsters that will try to take over the planet. Even in a short growing area like Toronto, they can reach 12 feet tall.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Julianna

-
by Deborah L. on June 04, 2006 01:12 PM
12 feet??????????
Oops.
Maybe I can prune it and make it go horizontal. ?

-
 -
by Wrennie on June 05, 2006 12:34 AM
My yellow pear tomatoes never got that BIG! wow!!
I do have a short growing season though.
My cousin grows his veggies in containers. I have used containers too. I grew, in a 26" pot, outside my store, on asphalt, peas, lettuce, and a tomato. My landlord laughed at me. She was sure I wouldn't get any yields. She stopped laughing by the time I was handing her the third big bag of lettuce for her familys salad. Just shook her head and said I can't believe you got so much out of there. [shocked]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Deborah L. on June 05, 2006 04:46 AM
Awesome, Wrennie !
I'm going to let the yellow pear tomato go as high as the top of the stake I have in the pot and then just keep nipping off the top.
If the top keeps growing that is, maybe a tomato stops growing the main stem after being nipped off the first time.
Guess I'm gonna find out......

-
 -
by Deborah L. on June 05, 2006 04:49 AM
The bell pepper I got yesterday, I've heard that we shouldn't buy a plant that already has fruit in the nursery pot.
But I couldn't resist and bought a pepper plant that has several small peppers already on it.
Kind of makes up for last year when I didn't get any peppers. [grin]

-
 -
by bicycle bill on June 05, 2006 04:59 AM
Container friuts and veggies are great! Just started doing this myself. I use Superthrive on them often which really works well. you only need about a drop or two per gallon so the 4 oz bottle lasts a long time.

Austin Klezmorim is my band - When music is played it goes into the air and can never be heard again. bamusic.net

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: