The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peas.... when to pick?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: peas| Next thread: Peas for Fall harvest.... »
Back to Thread index
by Marina on June 02, 2006 06:13 AM
Well.... I actually :::gasp:::: suceeded in growing something other then lettuce [Smile] The peas have pods with peas developing. One or two of the pods might be ready, but I am not sure.

Anyone have a method for knowing when to get them off of the plant? Also... how do I pick them off? They are growing out of what was a flower. If a picture would help ya'll know I have some [Smile]

Also...how much should the pea plant produce? I am hoping for lots and lots of peas and I have about 5 or so plants producingn now with some stragglers that will probably make it. What should I expect?

Thanks for any and all help [Smile]
by joclyn on June 02, 2006 06:35 AM
peas are pretty easy to grow...and they can be good producers too if the vines get long enough!

what kind of pea is it? and what did the seed packet say for the number of days until harvest time?

usually, if you gently pull the pod and it doesn't detach, it's not ready, yet.
by Longy on June 02, 2006 07:15 AM
If they're snow peas, then you eat the pod and all. So pick 'em while still flat. Other types, where you need to shell the peas, pick when the pods are 'full'. Try a couple and you'll get the best size sorted pretty quick. Once the pods begin to lose colour, you've waited too long. The peas will become a bit tough and tasteless.
Keep picking and you'll encourage more flowering and more peas.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Marina on June 02, 2006 07:19 AM
Thanks [Smile]

I actually... well lost/forgot about the packet. It was probably a burpee and it been in the ground for....geez almost 2 months maybe 1.5 months closer to 2 though, I have pictures of the plant (fairly developed and not a seedling as far back at 4/20/06).

I will try the gentle pilling method. [Smile] Thanks!

Also... will the vine keep growing even though its making peas? Should I water them more that that there are pods.... and lastly... if I pick one early to see their size and out of impatience will it hurt the peas?

Yikes... I am sorry for so many questions about such a simply plant [Smile]

Marina-
by Longy on June 02, 2006 07:23 AM
You won't hurt them by picking early. Pick a full looking one and give it a try. Mine rarely make it to the kitchen, they seem to disappear as fast as they come on.
The vine will keep growing if you keep picking. If you stop, the plant will have done its job and it'll shut down production. The more you get, the more you get!
Peas don't like it dry, so water regularly and deeply. Mulching helps to keep the soil cool. Another preference they have. They hate weed competition too.

-
The secret is the soil.
by weezie13 on June 02, 2006 07:41 AM
Congrats Marina!!!!!
Always veryyyyyy glad to hear a success story....

*Somebody got ahold of my peas.. [Mad] and ate all the tender tops,
*about the top 3~5" of them* [Frown] [Eek!]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by 'Sparagus on June 02, 2006 07:58 AM
Im glad you posted this! I was wondering the same thing. I did grow PEA peas, not snow peas. I doubt they will make it inside either. [flower] I remember planting mine on March 31 that was the last moon favorable day according to the farmer's almanac. [flower]
by Deborah L. on June 02, 2006 08:33 AM
You made me laugh, Longy. I have never had a pea make it to the kitchen ! Never have cooked even one.
I just stand outside popping pods and eating those heavenly, sweet crisp peas.

-
 -
by 'Sparagus on June 03, 2006 02:30 PM
My SIL says the same thing, they dont make it inside!! My lit'l one and I tried a pod today, it looked fat but the peas were still pretty small....WOW they are sweet! [flower]
by Amigatec on June 04, 2006 01:23 PM
I have been picking peas for several weeks, this is the first year I was able to get them to grow.

I look for the fat pods and feel for the peas inside.

Mine are about done for year, I have picked about a 1/2 gallon this year, I may have one more picking to go.

And yes I eat quite a few straight from the pod!!!

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by weezie13 on June 05, 2006 06:42 AM
Someone's been picking my peas, but it's not the pods, they've been eatting the whole top of the plants.. I have seen whoooooo it is yet, but when I get my hands on them, they're not going to be pickin' too many peas after that...Grrrrrrrrr!!!!
Luckily, I planted two sets at the same time, so, I'll still get the other one.. but still it's the point of it all...
I replanted some more peas, so, maybe I'll get another crop in before summer..
It's bee so cold here, I think they'll be okay..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Rosepetal on June 05, 2006 10:51 AM
We've been having problems in our area as well. It seems some kind of beetle is eating the pea plants. Many people have had to reseed their pea patches.

So far I'm ok, but since it is close to my place that this is happening I'll be on the look-out. Boy I sure hope not. [scaredy]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by lakegran on June 06, 2006 02:49 AM
[perplexed]
Uh oh, I planted
my snow peas April 20th, they look healthy have quite a few pretty little yellow blossoms, but no peas yet. I planted them in a row ( sort of like spinach) Are they too close together? or are they doing ok for Mid-Michigan?
My only concern is that it sounds as if many of you are harvesting peas now. I no longer have the packet [dunno]
I have been picking spinach for a month. Yummm

-
by weezie13 on June 06, 2006 03:18 AM
I'm not...
I planted mine a while ago,
*can't remember exactly*
but no flowers yet..
*Mine is in a container*

****I had some in the regular garden,
but somebody chomped the nice new tops off..
*I think the base of them will resprout some new shoots..
but I replanted some in the same spot
just to be sure..*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by lakegran on June 07, 2006 12:55 AM
Thanks Wheezie that makes me feel better.
How dissapointing to lose your garden peas [Eek!]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: peas| Next thread: Peas for Fall harvest.... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: