The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

what do you have in your garden that is unusual?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Mrs.Spud on May 30, 2006 10:47 AM
I haven't got a whole lot planted, but besides the usual veggies and stuff, I have

purple carrot seeds
lemon cucumber seeds
black tomato
habanero pepper
small grape tomato

I forgot to mention miniature indian corn
miniature pumpkin
giant pumpkin (big moon)

I also want to plat soybeans as I love edamame

Mrs.Spud: Idaho Mom
by Marina on May 30, 2006 02:38 PM
Wow!!! Where did you find all those things? all I could find were the run of the mill stuff and I looked long and high for those odd-colored carrots. Me and Steve got a taste of one last year and I wanted to start some... but since I don't buy myseeds online (well In didn't this time around) I couldn't find them.

Just wondering [Smile]

The oddest thing I have in my yard... maybe the big max pumpkin [Smile]
by chenno on May 30, 2006 02:52 PM
Besides Myself, very odd
I have some strange designs,I have made with copper and coat hangers as well as anything I get my hands on,(Decor)
But for my area(zone)I think it is pretty basic.
Plantings,
Someday, I will cross pollenate a rare thingy;)
Angie

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by ChristinaC on May 30, 2006 02:59 PM
Yep..mine are the basics too. Though I'm also growing Purple Haze Carrots. I also have some Thai Chilis and Thai Basil which really aren't unusual but you can't find them anywhere in the grocery stores here! I order the majority of my seeds from a company in Winnipeg. Haven't let me down yet!

-
 -
by joclyn on May 30, 2006 03:46 PM
i have the thai basil...never heard of it before and then it was mentioned repeatedly on this site...then, when i was out shopping for plants a few days later, they had it. so i bought it.

wow! it smells wonderful when you brush up against it! can't wait to use it in something. [Wink]
by tamara on May 30, 2006 11:34 PM
Parks Seeds have the odd varieties. They have purple asparagus, orange cauliflower, yellow and purple carrots, easter egg colored corn, purple peppers, white pumpkins, pink tomatoes, white turnip and yellow watermelon.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by pagarden on May 31, 2006 08:03 AM
i have mostly the typical. of the stuff i have the varieties are varied. i got the yellow lemon cucumbers, carnival peppers (just different colors), yellow pear tomatoes, and maple sugar sweet corn. the rest is run of the mill typical stuff.
by 'Sparagus on May 31, 2006 12:28 PM
I have a gooseberry bush, which most people have never heard of. I always make my friends try them, and they are usually scared [Big Grin]

quote:
Besides Myself, very odd
I have some strange designs,I have made with copper and coat hangers as well as anything I get my hands on,(Decor)
Angie: I think we are alot alike! Im also strange and have lots of odd found objects that I decorate the yard with. Mostly things I want morning glories to grow on. This year Im turning my chimnea into a planter....since I dont have an old toilet handy!

[flower]
by DeepCreekLake on May 31, 2006 02:39 PM
Have you tried to propagate that Gooseberry bush yet? They are supposed to be easy to propagate, I am trying it with mine. Depending on what kind of Gooseberry it is, they are supposed to be at its sweetest when red- otherwise tart!
by obywan59 on May 31, 2006 03:37 PM
I have 8 different hot pepper varieties including Caribbean Red habanero and Giant Thai Hot. 4 varieties of bell peppers including Chocolate Cola from Tammy. 2 different paprika peppers and 1 pimiento. Plus one Italian pepper and a cheese pepper.

I also have a tomatillo, and 19 different varieties of tomatoes including Cherokee Purple, Big Rainbow, and Sophie's Choice.

2 varieties of asparagus one green, one purple.

A super sweet pea and 3 super sweet corn varieties.

They're not in the garden yet, but I also have some peanut plants ready to go out.

Also, orange and purple cauliflower plants.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by angelblossom on May 31, 2006 04:53 PM
Wow  - Terry that's a lot of hot peppers!!

LOL Must really love em!!

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Deborah L. on May 31, 2006 05:06 PM
Oby, what's a cheese pepper?
I guess the most unusual thing I have growing is a nutmeg geranium?
A few weeks ago I could have said a miniature eucalyptus, but at two years old it was so infected with scale that I felt it should be destroyed. Sure wasn't happy about it, I had grown it from a seed from Johnny's.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 31, 2006 05:26 PM
Maple sugar corn? Does it taste like maple, or is it just very sweet?
Interesting ! Never heard of it.

-
 -
by obywan59 on June 01, 2006 04:28 AM
I had to look up the cheese pepper as I purchased it from one of the local organic farms.
It's called Tennessee Cheese , and it's a Spanish heirloom pimiento type with a squat roundish shape kind of like a Cinderella pumpkin.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Deborah L. on June 01, 2006 04:57 AM
OK, thanks.
I think there's a pumpkin called a cheese pumpkin too.

-
 -
by DeepCreekLake on June 01, 2006 12:12 PM
I am growing alot of hot peppers too! Cayennes, Jalapenos Early, Jalapeno M, Anahiems/numex, Serranos, Thai Pointsettias, Habaneros, Carribean Red, Cherry Bombs, Tabasco, Cow Horn Pepper, Thai Dragons, Santa Fe peppers!
by 'Sparagus on June 01, 2006 01:58 PM
quote:
Have you tried to propagate that Gooseberry bush yet?
Oh....Yeah! Definitely easy. Bend a long branch over and bury a bit of it, and it will root!

I know there are different varieties, not sure what I have, it's a family plant I got from my uncle. True about green being tart and red swwwweeeeet!

You can get really big berries by clipping 1 or 2 off each little cluster. Not sure if it's worth the time....but really works!!

[flower]
by Sorellina on June 03, 2006 10:27 AM
Ciao all,

Well I guess just about everything we're growing is somewhat unusual. We're growing multi-colour sweet corn that we got at a seed swap called 'Triple Play' and a white corn called 'Country Gentleman' with kernals not arranged in rows. We're also growing ornamental 'Earth Tones Dent' corn out front and 'Strawberry Popcorn'. Ok that's it for the corn.

Our munchkin is growing several different coloured carrots including 'Purple Dragon', 'Atomic Red', and 'Lunar White', purple cauliflower, and a rainbow of patty pan squash. He's also growing 'Mirabelle Multiflora', 'Sophie's Choice', and 'Whippersnapper' dwarf tomatoes and 'Roumanian Rainbow' sweet peppers with 4 different coloured peppers growing all on one plant at once.

I'm growing 'Violetta Lunga' (dark purple), 'Casper' (white), and 'Antigua' (lavender/white striped) eggplants. I'm also growing over 60 varieties of heirloom tomatoes and Duane is growing at least that many sweet and hot peppers.

We've got everbearing golden raspberries trying to take over the world next to the tomato bed. Duane built a 'corral' for them to keep them in line.

We're growing 'Golden Zucchini', 'Ronde de Nice Zucchini (a round one), 'Yellow & Black Striped Zucchini (from the same seed swap), and 'Costoluto Romanescu Zucchini' (a ruffled one).

We've also got 'Lemon Cucumber', 'English Telegraph Cucumber', and 'Boothby's Blonde Cucumber' (heirloom).

There's other stuff, too, but I'm too tired to list it at the moment.

Cheers and happy growing,
Julianna

-
by woodchuck on June 04, 2006 03:44 PM
ME. [Wink]
by Amigatec on June 05, 2006 01:49 AM
About the only I have strange growing is Califlower, it's strange because I didn't plant any.

I think somebody swapped the tags at the store.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by cookinmom on June 06, 2006 07:40 AM
The only strange thing I have growing right now is a "WonderEgg" eggplant. It is just about to bloom (finally). I am anxious to see if it will really get fruit, and if they really will look like they're supposed to.

But, if it never does, that's still OK, because that plant is what led me to this wonderful forum!

[clappy]

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by Greenthumb newbee on June 07, 2006 08:28 PM
Nothing unusual this year but last year I grew lopha sponges. They are like cuccumbers but bigger and the plants REALLY take over your garden. WORSE the zuck plants. only got a few good ones. Hard to dry out and not mold.
by MrsYeti on June 09, 2006 01:55 AM
last year I had some unexpected gourds come up...(from the compost I am sure) at first I thought they were cucumbers...untill small round light green things started to appear. It took awhile to figure out what the heck it was.
This year I have other unexpected squash type vines coming up....just waiting to see if any of them turn out to be cucumbers or not, if so they can stay.
I didn't add last years gourds to the compost pile(so I thought anyhow)
The gourd vine was nuts, had a softball sized gourd about every foot along the vine, I kept dragging it back through the fence of my neighbours yard, overall I must of cut off 20 feet of it, and still ended up with a ton of them.
Had a couple nice fall arrangements though...at thanksgiving dinner all my family members ended up getting 'gourds to go'

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: