The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Is this bacterial wilt?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Is this a Wild Rose?| Next thread: Is this considered fire blight? »
Back to Thread index
by Meg on July 12, 2005 10:28 AM
I had a lot of cucumber vines.. and of course, got the dang beetles. It's not been toooo bad yet, but I noticed a few wilting vines, so I cut them off. This is one of the vines.. there were more pieces as well. Also, where I cut them, will they heal up, or will they wilt the rest of the way? It's hard to find the beginning of the vines.. they are so long & twisty!

-

-

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by mike57 on July 13, 2005 12:11 AM
HI Meg they just look like they need lots of water to me. i do not see any mold or bugs any where unless there at the roots you might check there did you plant them on a hill? if not it might be root rot from getting to much water this is just my guess.your friend in gardening.mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by papito on July 13, 2005 04:00 AM
You might want to check this out.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/plantsci/hortcrop/pp747w.htm

from the same article:

quote:
Wilt is caused by a slimy ooze which plugs the entire water-conducting tissue of the plant. The wilted plant will not recover, even if water is adequate in the soil. Other pathogens cause wilt, but bacterial wilt may be distinguished by cutting a severely wilted stem at the base of a lateral branch or just above ground level and squeezing the cut end. Ooze will exude from the water-conducting tissue. By touching the ooze with your finger then slowly drawing your finger away, the milky, sticky ooze will string out into fine strands up to one-fourth inch long (Figure 2). This test works best for cucumbers and is less reliable for other cucurbits. A positive test is a strong diagnostic character, but a negative test does not mean that the plants do not have the disease. Another test is to place a freshly cut stem from a wilted part of the plant in a glass of water. If bacterial wilt is present, a milky exudate will appear at the cut ends. Both of these tests require patience, as the bacteria are in a sticky material and may not readily ooze from the cut stem.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Meg on July 13, 2005 08:28 AM
Thanks papito. I didn't save the vines.. I put them directly into the trash. However, the photos they showed of the wilt, did look a lot like the vines I tossed. Not all my vines were affected.. I think it was 1-2 of them.

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Is this a Wild Rose?| Next thread: Is this considered fire blight? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: