The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need help with my apple trees

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by robdds on May 26, 2006 04:36 AM
This year our two apple trees decided to produce multiple small apples and they seem to be weighing down our limbs very much. I was wondering if I need to pick some of the apples to let the others grow bigger and if I need to tie up some limbs or stake them up. If so, how do you tie them and stake them and with what? Thanks so much for your insight!!!
by ranger on May 26, 2006 07:13 AM
I have pear trees that really hang with large fruits. The tree seems to accept this and does fine. You can thin them out, there is a rule of thumb somewhere of so many fruits per so far apart. Most of my fruit trees are just begining to bear so I 'm learning as well.
ranger
by tamara on May 27, 2006 12:49 AM
Just clip out some fruit with a pair of snippers, 2 or 3 to a cluster. Don't take a chance on breaking limbs.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by obywan59 on May 27, 2006 06:59 AM
It's best to thin apples to one per cluster, and then to about 6-8 inches apart. This puts more energy into the remaining fruit and eliminates hiding places for insects in tight clusters of fruit.

-
Terry

May the force be with you

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: