The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Yellowing of leaves

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: yellowing morning glories| Next thread: yellowing pothos »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on May 25, 2006 07:49 AM
here are the cucumbers....

-

and here are my squash....

-

i planted them about a week or so ago outside and since then have given them miracle-gro once. it's a mineral/vitamin deficency right? what does it look like to you? what should i give them??? other stuff is ok. tomaotes are healthy and no yellowing so far. corn has a few bottom leaves that are fading into yellow though. cilantro, sugar snap peas are all healthy. peppers are too small to notice yet....
by peppereater on May 25, 2006 07:56 AM
Sometimes the first leaves will yellow and fall off after transplanting. I'd fertilize with some Plant-Tone, or any good slow release fertilizer, and mulch around it too help retain moisture. You may want to lay off with the MiracleGrow now that they're blossoming.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Longy on May 25, 2006 08:03 AM
it's a mineral/vitamin deficency right? what does it look like to you? what should i give them???
+++++++++++++++
Looks like a lack of organic matter in the soil. Cucurbits are very hungry and like plenty of manures, compost etc and a friable soil. The soil looks quite compacted.
I'd use an organic liquid fert like fish fert and mulch them with compost. See if you can dig some into the soil outside the root zone.

-
The secret is the soil.
by pagarden on May 25, 2006 08:45 AM
no compost yet. we put in a bunch (2 garbage cans full and the garden is 8 ft x 16 ft)of composted manure 2 years ago and it was tilled in. i thought i read somewhere that every 5 yrs is good enough otherwise it'd be too much. sound right or did i read wrong? i try each year to add more organic stuff to it- i turned in some leaves this year and some peat moss to loosen up the soil. i'll try the local nursery this weekend for fish fert.
by johnCT on May 25, 2006 08:58 AM
I think they'll be fine. Could be a little transplant shock. They don't like to be transplanted. Maybe it's me, but that soil does not look like it lacks in organic matter. [dunno] They look healthy otherwise.

John - Zone 6
by Danno on May 25, 2006 10:52 AM
mine are doign the same thing and i havent even transplanted them. . same exact first leaves too. Could be this is the way its supposed to be?
by comfrey on May 25, 2006 11:10 AM
Transplant shock is what it looks like to me also...Plus they do usually lose the lower leaves. I would also vote for organic matter/compost placed in a ring around the plants instead of plant food. Your plants look like they will be fine to me....Don't worry I have been making a garden for quite a few years and I always worry when I see something yellow, wilty, bugs, weeds........ So its ok to worry bout yellow leaves!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: yellowing morning glories| Next thread: yellowing pothos »
Back to Thread index