The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomatos & wilting. . .

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Danno on May 21, 2006 06:02 AM
hey guys. . i'm breakin in all my plants to put them outdoors hopefully this following weekend. (memorial day weekend).

I've been putting htem outside on sunny days. . . and my plants are wilting when in the sun, and they pop right back up to normal at night.

A: is this normal, or am i under/overwatering them? (i highly doubt i overwater them as i use a spray bottle and give at MOST like not even 1/8th cup of water each plant. KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE STILL SEEDLINGS. . tom plants are only 6" high or so. . . same with peppers)

B: Is there a certain amount of full sun. . time of day ort whatever that i should be having them in?

THnx again for all your guys help! Your the best!
by peppereater on May 21, 2006 06:53 AM
I try to have mine in the shade around 12 or 1 o'clock for a few hours, but keep in mind that I live in Oklahoma and it has been hitting the 90's alot this year. Mine only wilt when they want water. I douse them good with water when they wilt. I water with a small watercan and wet them well, but they're in soil that drains adequately. I only water when the soil surface is dry. 6 inches is a good height to plant out.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Danno on May 21, 2006 09:18 AM
right pepp. . i should have mentioned it is only 65deg here. so its not even hot enuff to be wilting from heat. . . i'm assuming i'm underwatering them? And yes, i plan on getting them in the ground here next weekend. . after "hardening" them.
by peppereater on May 21, 2006 09:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Danno:
i'm assuming i'm underwatering them?
Sounds like it. If you are, you can tell. The soil will be slightly pulled away from the sides of the pots, most likely. What size pots are they in?
I've read some places that part of hardening off is getting them used to less frequent watering, but I don't worry about that. I always try to let the soil surface get dry on at least a few of the plants in the tray before I water. I grow in the sixpack sized containers, and from there they go directly into the garden. I never "pot up." Many times, my little plants get a little wilty, and it has never seemed to hurt them.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by ChristinaC on May 21, 2006 12:00 PM
It's completely normal for plants to wilt the first few times when you're hardening them off. Happens to me every year...that's the whole point of it...to work them up so they don't wilt. I don't think it has anything to do with watering...it's probably just that they're not use to the outdoors...the sun, the wind, the air, etc...keep doin' what you're doing and you'll find, they'll stop wilting. Just remember to work up gradually the amount of time you are putting them in direct sun. When I start hardening off my plants..I put them under my front porch the first day..the don't even see the sun! Good luck Danno!!!
Christina [muggs]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 21, 2006 12:30 PM
I expose seedlings to daylight outside, but not to sun for the first few times outside. Then maybe an hour in light sun for a week. Then the real sun, but plenty of water.
I never have any wilting.
Once a seed is up, I only partially cover, because I think air is crucial. Have never had damping off either.
Ironically, I have no patience with seeds most of the time, and just buy plants. Buying plants REALLY limits selections though, right?
Keeps you stuck with standards.....
I admire all of you working with seeds so patiently, I really mean it.

-
 -
by Danno on May 21, 2006 02:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by peppereater:
quote:
Originally posted by Danno:
i'm assuming i'm underwatering them?
Sounds like it. If you are, you can tell. The soil will be slightly pulled away from the sides of the pots, most likely. What size pots are they in?

Nailed that one right on the head! Yes indeed they do pull from the sides of the 2" pete pots that i have them in. I too started from sixpack type starter kit i got from the local superstore here, and had to transplant my toms. theyre really doing great. . . . but i'm scared of overwatering lol. guess i'll give em a good soakin from now on. .. . . and yes the soil is very dry (on the top that is) when i bring them indoors.

Christy, thanks for the encouragement [Cool] I hope they turn out right. . i'm really excited to have this garden lol. [clappy] i'll just soak them a lil more and go from there. . . its all a learning experience. . . hell if i do kill em off. . . i'll just go buy some from home depot lol! [Eek!]
by elkwc36 on May 21, 2006 04:04 PM
Danno Yes I agree it sounds like not enough water. I'm sure your enviroment isn't as harsh as mine. er. Also when I transplant I have to use containers around my plants for protection. I leave them on till I can mulch and put cages around them. I may not harden off as much as I should due to my work requirements but have great luck doing it this way and they take off real well. I plant each plant in a post hole and cover most of the plant. Have the top about the top of the hole. This has worked for us for over 50 years. Again best of luck gardening in 06. Jay
by elkwc36 on May 22, 2006 03:12 AM
Just to add to my previous comment. The containers I use are plastic with the bottoms cut out or PVC pipe. I really like the new plastic coffee cans for early plantings. In bad weather just put the snap on top back on and take off afterwards. Also if you are as warm as we are now you sure need to harden as much as possible to prevent much sunburn.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: