The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

More Pepper help...again

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: More of My Garden| Next thread: More Photos »
Back to Thread index
by LandOfOz on May 20, 2006 08:15 AM
Okay, okay, I'm sorry I keep bugging you all about my pathetic garden, but I have another question!! [Embarrassed] My poor pepper plants are looking yellow. They're kinda wilted too, but I think that's cause its 101 degrees outside right now. Anyway, I always correlate color with nitrogen: so do my peppers need more nitrogen? I know that I have absolutely horrid soil, which I am trying to ammend. I just side-dressed them with some compost about a week or so ago, and they were just starting to yellow. Do I just sit tight and hope they don't die [Eek!] or is there something I can give them immediately? [scaredy] I really like the idea of organic and would like to stay away from artificial solutions [dunno] but if that's what it takes for my peppers... Heavy sigh.

Thanks,

Sarah

p.s. I planted cilantro purely for making salsa, and was wondering do I need to keep it trimmed until I need it so it doesn't flower or get bitter/woody? [Roll Eyes] Because it's newest leaves are looking stringy instead of broad and flat...

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by elkwc36 on May 20, 2006 03:38 PM
Oz what part of KS do you live in/ I'm in the very SW corner. Without seeing pictures it is hard for me to tell much. What kind of soil? If you are worried and sure the soil is lacking I might add a little Ultimate. I've had great luck with it but mainly on flowers and trees. I have enough manure in my garden that I don't have to add any outside anymore. When I first started it I did the first year. Yes organic is the best but somewhat slower.
by Longy on May 20, 2006 04:56 PM
I know that I have absolutely horrid soil, which I am trying to ammend.
+++++++++++++++++++++
One way or another, the soil is usually the determining cause of healthy or unhealthy plants. Peppers like heat, so the hot days are perfect for them...BUT...if the soil is not holding moisture or is moisture repellant due to a lack of organic matter, is depleted of nutrient, is not deeply cultivated, has a Ph out side the ideal range, then any of these problems can lead to the symptoms you describe.
Is it all the leaves, the new leaves or the older ones which are yellow?
Do the plants pickup after watering or when the weather cools?
BTW, you don't need to use chemicals for a quick hit of nutrient. There are liquid organic ferts such as fish fert, worm 'juice' etc which will do the same job and be far more gentle on your soil and the beneficial creatures there-in than chemicals.

-
The secret is the soil.
by LandOfOz on May 21, 2006 03:58 AM
I live in SC KS, so probably not too terribly far from you, Elkwe.

I did the 'frugal' soil pH test and it only fizzed a very tiny bit when I added the vinegar, so I'm assuming I have slightly alkaline soil. The soil is very sandy but the compost is already making a difference in watering!! I don't have a tiller, but I did dig about 2 shovels down when I was preparing the ground. And! I'm so excited, 2 days ago I found my first worm in my garden--after 3 years of working it, I finally saw 1!! This guy is a sign of progress, my ground is finally getting good enough to attract a worm! [Big Grin] My peppers do perk up after the heat drops to mid-90's or after a good watering. All of my leaves are yellow, but my peppers seem to be stunted--I planted them over a month ago and some of them have not grown any (although it did get very cool a week after I planted and is just now warming up). Is fish fert or the worm stuff available commercially? I might have to go check Wally World and the local nursery and see if I can find any there, if lack of fert is my problem.

Thanks
Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: More of My Garden| Next thread: More Photos »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: