The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How much do weeds affect veggie growth???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: How many slips per onion| Next thread: How much Epsom? »
Back to Thread index
by n00bGardener on May 17, 2006 07:46 PM
I have 4 raised beds and for some reason in the first one I planted I can't even tell what is veggie and what is weed.. My other beds have rows and are starting to grow pretty good so it's easy for me to tell the difference.. But this one bed is just starting to over grow.. I can't even tell the rows b/c nothing in a row looks the same, its just toooo much. Plus I dont even know what veggies are supposed to be there.. *sighs*

I can post a pic tommorow but Im wondering if I should just leave it and hope something comes up or will the weeds eventually just overtake the veggies???

I was just looking at it earlier thinking ohhhhhh man, what's a gal to do....lol
by johnCT on May 18, 2006 12:43 AM
They won't "overtake" them, but they will certainly use a lot of the nutrients available. Get out there and do some weeding! [Big Grin]

John - Zone 6
by ChristinaC on May 18, 2006 03:01 AM
Hi nOOb..I'm having the same problem with my carrots. We've had A LOT of rain this past week and the weeds are popping up everywhere! I don't know if it's little carrot sprouts or weeds. So I'm just leaving that area alone until I can tell the difference.
I would still post pics if I were you though. Someone here can probably help you decide which is a weed and which isn't.

-
 -
by n00bGardener on May 18, 2006 04:22 AM
OK here is a shot of basically what the whole bed looks like..
 -

This is a shot of one of my other beds..BLATANTLY obvious of where the veggies are...
 -

This in the only thing in the "weed bed" that I can say isn't an actual weed and is some type of veggie..
 -

It has A TON of these..They are cute lil things, but obviousl not veggies as they are growing everywhere randomly..
 -

I think this is the beginning of a Borage flower/plant but Im not sure..
 -

And Im not sure about this one..It loks like a weed to me but there ins't to too many of them growing in there..*shrugs*
 -

Now if I pulled all of these out there would literally be nothing.. That is why Im pondering just leaving it as is for a little bit longer to see if it becomes obvious in the next few weeks..But then again, I think back and there is no rows of anything that look the same.. I seriously want to cry..lol
by n00bGardener on May 18, 2006 04:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
They won't "overtake" them, but they will certainly use a lot of the nutrients available. Get out there and do some weeding! [Big Grin]
I would love to, I just don't know the heck Im supposed to be taking out..hehehe..I did most of the other weeding yesturday and I have one more area Im going to do today before work
by johnCT on May 18, 2006 06:45 AM
Wow, without knowing what you planted there, the only thing you can do is wait. You sure you have no idea what you sowed there? Did you plant rows or just broadcast the seed? If rows, it should be easy to identify it once the veggies start to sprout and grow. Then you can get to weeding. Out of all those pics I can't ID anything. [dunno]

John - Zone 6
by n00bGardener on May 18, 2006 08:12 AM
Do you think maybe I should use Mriacle grow to speed the process??? I have a bag of soil and some compost that I can use after to try and make up for the loss of the nutrients from the miracle grow..If its gonna help get this going so I can weed then start somewhat fresh again w/ no weeds and get my rows sorted out..
by ChristinaC on May 18, 2006 08:24 AM
Miracle Grow will also feed the weeds. The weeds really aren't all that bad...I'd still wait if I were you. I put money on the last pic...I'm quite sure that's a weed.
I just looked at my garden N00b...I still can't tell if it's carrots or weeds...I just weeded around it...I'm not too worried.

-
 -
by n00bGardener on May 18, 2006 08:30 AM
The veggie possibilities are, zuchini, brocoli, cauliflower, lettuce, radish, green pepper or mini bell peppers..Possibly carrots but my carrots started sprouting in 2 spots and Im pretty sure i didnt plant any in this bed.. Im seriously kicking myself in the butt for not labeling them.. Oh well, now I will know for next year and I'll be a semi-n00b, not a totaly n00b. As the days go by I realise the term learn from your mistakes is SOOOOOOOO true..lol
I planted them in rows and they started sprouting in rows but they were so tiny and I didnt want to disturb them.. Now it's just outta control in there..lol
by johnCT on May 18, 2006 08:31 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Wait til you can identify the weeds and just pull em then.

John - Zone 6
by n00bGardener on May 18, 2006 08:39 AM
yeah, I think the last pic is a weed too but I just can't bare to pull it "just incase"..lol.. And I think the 3rd pic might be a zuchini *dunno*
by n00bGardener on May 18, 2006 08:47 AM
alright, I shall wait.... *argh, more waiting*
by ChristinaC on May 18, 2006 08:52 AM
We were all "n00b's" at one time. I still consider myself a n00b...thank god for johnCT and Comfrey!! (Just to name a couple)

-
 -
by n00bGardener on May 18, 2006 09:00 AM
Yes, there is alot, add Par_Gardener to that list..I've seen him drop some serious knowledge in a few threads..
by joclyn on May 18, 2006 09:08 AM
nOOb, just wait a bit to do anything in that one bed - except for that one spot where you know what is desired and what is the weed.

as for the rest, most of what's there is weed...most things, when so tiny, look pretty similar. you'll be okay if you wait a week - or even two - before you start pulling stuff out. most that would grow in an open bed like that don't have heavy roots (even when they're a bit large) so they'll be easy to pull up.

i'd recommend doing the weeding when the soil is still fairly moist (like after a good rain). when the soil is completely dried out (like when the sun has baked it for a few days) the weeds are harder to get up. you can always lightly spray with the hose if you need too.

a good layer of grass clippings will keep future weed growth away and you'll get some extra nutrients for your vegy's! you can add on to the grass clippings throughout the summer too...
by n00bGardener on May 18, 2006 09:28 AM
Just out of curiousity why does grass slow down or stop the weeds from coming.. Ive read in the forum that others have done it but how does that work??
by joclyn on May 18, 2006 12:41 PM
it would depend on the type of grass. some, like zoisa, have a very thick thatch and that chokes out the weeds.
by johnCT on May 19, 2006 01:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by n00bGardener:
Just out of curiousity why does grass slow down or stop the weeds from coming.. Ive read in the forum that others have done it but how does that work??
You use the clippings as a mulch.

John - Zone 6
by dodge on May 19, 2006 01:20 PM
[wavey]
I run thru my gardens daily , trying to take control.

Even if you only pull a few yards at a time , just do it.. After your able to identify them.. I know carrots are a tricky lot.. They are real long to grow, and by the time you identify them, the weeds took them.??Ha ha ha.
But I keep trying..
dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by n00bGardener on May 20, 2006 11:14 AM
Ive been doinga lil bit everyday since my rows came up.. I can't wait to eat my first self-grown veggie.. I'm still pretty excited regardless of my weed bed problem.. Im going to post another pic tommorow.. I have a feeling one of these few things may be cauliflower.. [Embarrassed]
by dodge on May 20, 2006 12:30 PM
noobgardener,

It helps to have a little hand hoe..I hoe as I pull the weeds, or keep a little hand digger with you as you weed.. When weeds get nasty, just dig it out..

Yes it is so rewarding to eat your own fresh veggies......yum. We are on lettuce and onions nad parsley now.. Radishes soon.

dodge

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 20, 2006 02:26 PM
That last picture is a dandelion.
The others, I'm not sure.
Are you going to eat the dandelions or are they a weed for you?
I would totally weed though, when you can see which are weeds.

-
 -
by dodge on May 20, 2006 04:10 PM
Some eat dandelions, I dont,
Some make wine too, I dont.

You will catch on,

DOdge

-
 -
by woodchuck on May 20, 2006 04:59 PM
Last year I had carrots growing healthily with weeds and other veggies 8" taller than them, and it all worked out, no choking or anything, patience.
by n00bGardener on May 20, 2006 06:44 PM
People actually eat dandelions? I so did not know that..
by dodge on May 21, 2006 02:09 AM
OH yes they do in Pennsylvania.. Just like lettuce when they are young ..

Dandelion wine they make also..

We live an learn.

Look at some old folk books in your library.. I love checking those places.

Smile and go picking..

Dodge [lala]

-
 -
by dodge on May 21, 2006 02:11 AM
woodchuck,

Correct..Weeds dont hurt carrots, and pullin them all out pulls the carrot too, If you dont see them..

Eek but they are soooooooooo good.

dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: How many slips per onion| Next thread: How much Epsom? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: