The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Can we use 2 4 D?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by firsttimer on May 17, 2006 03:44 AM
I'm not even sure if that's what it's called, but my husband is a farmer and they use that in the fields, so he wants to bring it in town to use on our lawn. My neighbor thinks it'll kill his flowers. If anyone would know, it'd be you experts!!! Thanks so much!!

**Every woman needs a man with a will of his own--made out in her name!** Zone 4b

-
by johnCT on May 17, 2006 03:58 AM
2,4-D is a selective broadleaf herbicide that doesn't control a broad variety of weeds by itself. Its normally combined with other herbicides in formulas like Ortho's Weed-b-gon. You'd be better off buying that.

I love to hear about all these possible carcinogens being sprayed on the food we eat. [Roll Eyes]

Maybe weezie could move this to the lawn forum. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by hjolicoeur on May 17, 2006 04:43 AM
This is why I perfer to grow my own. Then I know what has been put in the soil and on the plants!

~Heidi
by Rosepetal on May 17, 2006 05:43 AM
John,

Want to hear another good one? [Frown]

Ever heard of varsol sprayed on carrots once they are about 2"- 3" tall. Kills all the weeds and let the carrots grow without interruption. [scaredy]

It works but........ [Eek!]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Xetox on May 17, 2006 06:33 AM
I grew up on a row crop farm, we did soy beans, corn, and wheat every year. And alot of it...we farmed anywhere from 1000-1500 acres every year. There are so may chemicals used on them...to keep weeds down or bugs, or fertilizer [Smile] Its just insane what we put in our bodies.....and they say eating vegies is healthy [Wink]

-
I hate those dang rabbits [Smile]
by elkwc36 on May 18, 2006 01:27 PM
First Timer,
As long as it's 2,4-D Amine it shouldn't kill anything except the weeds it is sprayed on. Doesn't kill grass ect.. I use it some to control dandelions and annual weeds. I wouldn't use it on your garden though. To me it is better than anything you will buy at Wal-Mart ect.. I don't spray anymore than necessary and definately not my garden. Good luck getting rid of your weeds. Jay

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: