The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Radishes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Radishes| Next thread: radishes »
Back to Thread index
by Marina on May 16, 2006 01:53 PM
Hey there all [Smile] A few questions for anyone whose grown radishes.

I planted my radishes about 20-24 days ago and when I pulled one up today there was definetly no radish on it, nor anything that looked like one. I it has a longish white/red stem not not round at all (sort of bean sprout like in consistency and texture).

Does anyone have a picture of what the outside of the plant should look like when they are ready? Did I totally fail? Mine only have 2 leaves and are about 3-4 inches tall. The seed packet said ready in 25 days and its been about that.

Any idea? Photos or links?

Thanks [Smile]

Marina-
by weezie13 on May 16, 2006 02:01 PM
A picture would help greatly...

But I know they need alot of water, *moist soil,
but not soggy* and deep watering, so the roots go down into the soil..

How has your weather been?
Hotttt, no rain, dry???

I have radishes, and I let them turn/grow into flowers *they are soo pretty, weedy lookin' a bit, but pretty..* but they dropped seeds, and over wintered and have literally been out and sprouting since about the break of spring...
but I don't have any yet either...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by papito on May 16, 2006 02:40 PM
Please try this link:

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/orientalradish.html

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Deborah L. on May 16, 2006 05:29 PM
Marina, that is exactly what I get-just a red string, no matter how long I wait, and only two or three leaves.
And this has gone for YEARS........... [dunno] [tears]

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 17, 2006 12:40 AM
ALOTTTTTT has to do with your soil for
growing radishes...
It needs to be tilled and reasonable light..
So the root system can get down thru it.

They have to have full sun, and constant water..
**Not to the point of soggy, but deep watering,
so the roots want to go down...**

When the soil is too dry and warm, they only make a thin root...
*to go straight down to find the water..*

What kind of soil do you both have?
Or container?

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Marina on May 17, 2006 12:56 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will get a photo tonight.

I think their growing condiions are pretty good. The soil was pretty good in that area to start and got another 4-5 inches of loose store bought garden soil.

They are planted below a line of spinach which is also developing very slowly.
by weezie13 on May 17, 2006 01:00 AM
A picture would be nice, sometimes that tells
us a bit more *maybe*...

What kind of store bought garden soil???

Did you say whether it was in full sun or not???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on May 17, 2006 01:00 AM
Weezie is exactly right. Radishes need loose, fertile, well-draining soil. I usually space them 3 or 4 inches apart. They mature quickly. Usually 5 or 6 weeks they're ready to harvest. This year I'm planting French breakfast and Champion.

http://www.farm-garden.com/growing-vegetables/radishes

John - Zone 6
by Deborah L. on May 17, 2006 08:33 AM
Weezie, mine are (were, I've given up) in large clay pots with that good E.B. Stone potting soil.
Other than kissing them good night, I don't know what else to do.
The one and only time I got a real radish it was one of those long white ones. It was tasteless and weird. Not woody, just bland and weird.

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 17, 2006 09:12 AM
Okay, just had another thought,
how are you watering them?
From the top?
Is the soil washing away a bit as you water,
and it doesn't nessessarily mean washing out of the pot, just moving from where it was?????

I have just noticed on mine today that there is signs of erosion around where the stem is...

Toooo fine of dirt on the top and it moves way to easily....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Rosepetal on May 17, 2006 09:48 AM
I tried radishes this year in an old sandbox area.

Never could grow radishes because of soil texture. We have mostly clay dirt.

They came up really nice, but the rest remains to be seen. Will I actually get the root veggie or just as Marina says.

I'm anxious to see, mine are only 2 weeks old.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Deborah L. on May 17, 2006 10:24 AM
Weez, you may have hit on something !!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe I was watering too hard !!!
Now I'm all excited and thinking of getting yet another packet of seeds !
How about this idea, would it help if I mound the soil around the plants once they emerge?
You know, it's embarrassing when I hear about how radishes are so common that gardeners merely drop a few seeds as they weed or whatever, and in a month are filling up a basket with crunchy, good radishes. Argh !!!

-
 -
by Marina on May 17, 2006 10:39 AM
Believe I know the frustration.

As for my radishes.... the soil was mircle grow and we do water them from the top. Perhaps I will try moving a bit of dirt around the root/lowest stem area and seee if it helps.

I think (or hope) that my problem is that they are just taking waaay longer then the package says. I am going to run into the yard and snap a few pictures to post and see if someone can tell me whether they are just immature plants.

[Smile]
by Deborah L. on May 17, 2006 06:43 PM
Exactly, Marina !
Mine can be in the soil like 2 months, and still all I get are red strings.
And hardly any leaves. Like they're brand new, but were actually in the ground a long time.
Can you believe I'm actually thinking of planting ONE radish seed in a paper cup and babying it, just to see if I can get even one real radish???

-
 -
by johnCT on May 18, 2006 12:45 AM
Could really be soil compaction. Similar things will happen to other root crops like carrots in compacted soil.

John - Zone 6
by Marina on May 18, 2006 10:41 AM
Sorry folks... I got caught up last night but here are the pictures [Smile] Hopefully this can provide some enlightenment [Smile]

And thank you all for the replies and helping me with the radishes [Wink]

-

-

-
by Bestofour on May 18, 2006 12:09 PM
I think you're pulling them too soon. I planted my seeds 4/2/06 and am just starting to get radishes. The top of the plant gets from 8-10 inches tall and I can sort of see the radish bursting through the top of the dirt. When I've pulled too early, I get a root that looks like your picture. I have mine in almost total shade and we have red, clay around here.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Deborah L. on May 18, 2006 12:19 PM
Exactly what I always got no matter how long the darn things were in the ground ! Exactly !

-
 -
by Marina on May 18, 2006 12:31 PM
Thanks Bestofour. The seed packet said 25 days to mature and they've been in the ground about a month.... maybe all the rainy weather has stunted their growth? I will see if they get bigger in the next few weeks.

I hope this isn't it [Smile]

How do you know when the tops looks right?
by weezie13 on May 18, 2006 01:51 PM
Marina,
What kind of soil did you say you have
them planted in?????

It looks awefully rich...
If it is, it may be that the plant has put
all of it's energy into making beautiful greenery for you and
not concentrating on the root production...

Do you have any other different types of soils
on your property???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Marina on May 18, 2006 03:13 PM
Weezie... Our soil was terribly tough so we tilled it up and threw some mircle grow veggie soil in and mixed it around. It may look darker then usual because I believe it was wet.
by weezie13 on May 18, 2006 03:36 PM
Well, I am pretty convinced it is the Miracle Grow soil that may be your culprit..
and maybe some heavy watering, either by hand or rain...

For me, when I want to thin my raddishes and I don't want just snip them or throw them away...
I find a long think stick, or like, that I can poke into the ground and then re~insert the seedling, and I've had pretty good luck with them
still living..
Your call if you want to give something like that a try?????

Or, try some new seeds in a different area and see how that goes...
They are one of the speediest sprouters and finished product...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on May 19, 2006 01:33 AM
Either way you're definitely pulling them too soon. Those seedlings barely even have their true leaves.

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on May 19, 2006 01:39 AM
Yes, I have to totally agree with John,
those leaves are the first set that comes out,
you still have several sets of leaves to come out yet, they should be a bit ruffley...

I will tryyyyyyyyyy to get a picture of mine,
and see if I can get mine in the photobucket...
Remind me...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Marina on May 19, 2006 09:08 AM
Thanks guys. Weezie I would loooove to see a picture of yours!

John.... is it normal/unsual for them to be in the ground for as much time as the seed packet said would be needed and to still be at such an early stage? It has been raining an awful lot lately (3 days on 3 days off type of thing) but the temps haven't gone anywhere near the frost mark in a long time round here.

I think I am going to plant another batch and see if these things do the same. Perhaps I will put less soil on top my the existing soil and see if that could be the problem.

I appreciate all this help. I feel a bit silly for not being able to grow a radish...everyone says they are the easiest!

Marina [Smile]
by weezie13 on May 19, 2006 09:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Marina:

I appreciate all this help. I feel a bit silly for not being able to grow a radish...everyone says they are the easiest!

Marina [Smile]

Never feel silly... it is quite common for things to go different for different gardeners..

And if you stop and think about it, how do you think experienced gardener's get so experienced [Embarrassed] [lala] ????
We've been there.. done that, and we're back heading new gardener's off at the pass so they don't do the same boo~boo's we have...

And most new gardeners think that giving some plants "more is better" when some plants require minium care and when they get that stuff that's too good, they're like on vacation and don't know how to act right...

And I am glad to see you not give up, keep tryin' and experimenting.. cause that is how you truely learn and get a good feel for gardening...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Deborah L. on May 19, 2006 09:51 AM
I can't wait to get more radish seeds this weekend ! I'm determined to get some real radishes !
This time I'm gonna mist them and not really water until their leaves are out, and even then will water gently with the spray attachment.

-
 -
by mater sandwich on May 19, 2006 10:52 AM
Looks like I'm a little late on replying.

One thing that might have been missed is when a seed package list the number of days until ready to harvest, I believe it is not from the day you planted it but from the day it emerges out of the soil. I would imagine that it also refers to ideal growing conditions also.

Here are radishes nearing time to harvest. There is no question as to when they are ready. These are the German Giant radishes and happen to be the shortest of all the radishes I am growing. They were advertised to be ready in 29 days and I planted them on 3/30/06.

-

Here is a comparison of an Easter Egg (left), a German Giant (center), and Brightest Breakfast radish (right). I planted the EE and GG's on 3/30/06. I planted the BB radishes on 4/28/06 and are just now getting their true leaves. They look near the same age as the one pictured a few days ago. I don't expect to harvest any radishes from this crop until after the first week in June.

-

Hope these pictures help out.

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....
by weezie13 on May 19, 2006 10:55 AM
I think that helps alotttttttttttt!!! [thumb] [kissies] [thumb] [kissies]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Marina on May 19, 2006 11:01 AM
Thanks for the encouragement weezie. I will keep trying [Smile] In fact I am about to go out and mess with the yard now. At least there are a few suscess out there (some baby strawberries and tomatos are out yippie!!!!)

Mator... thank you a bunch!!!!! That helps immensly, mine look nothing at all like that. I will wait several more weeks and see if they start looking more like yours [Wink]
by johnCT on May 20, 2006 01:08 AM
Mator's right. Days to Maturity(DTM) is normally from transplant to the garden. Not from the day of sowing the seed. This is why DTM should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Marina, when you try again, try holding off on the nitrogen since the soil you incorporated is fortified with it. [thumb]

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Radishes| Next thread: radishes »
Back to Thread index