The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cucumber seedlings getting leggy....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Cucumber Questions| Next thread: Cucumber troubles »
Back to Thread index
by tamara on May 14, 2006 12:35 AM
I planted them two weeks ago in those little expandable peat discs and they are growing so fast. They seem to be getting leggy and I can't put them out for at least another two weeks. I don't want to take a chance and repot because cukes are fussy. Our short growing season is the reason they need the early start. I need some advice...

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by weezie13 on May 14, 2006 12:42 AM
[wavey] [wavey] [wavey] [wavey] Tamara,
Do you know what I tried for the first time this year for my cukes' was putting those juice jugs over them.... **Cut the just the very bottom off, so you have the entire jug to cover up the seedling**
Keep the top, for night times, and remember to take it off during the day so it doesn't fry inside...
I have right now 5 of them outside, and have been for about say 10 days at least and I know one night it frosted...
*now I should say I had 6 seedlings and one died that night of the frost, but I think because I planted that one late in the afternoon, and maybe it just didn't make it because of that... not sure.. the other 2 I planted the same day, but just earlier in the day, survived...
and the sad thing was, I'd had a couple of each variety of seedlings *6* that I'd planted in 6~packs and had gotten around to planting the first 6, but left the tray out over night and the other one's all died in the frost, but not the one's under those jugs...

But it is working for me...

I am planning on trying that with direct seeding next year, and see what happens.. we've had some really nice days were the soil warmed up, but at nights they were killers...

Give it a try, try half of what you have, and then if for some reason you still get cold nights/frosts, you still have a couple of plants left over...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Shawn M on May 14, 2006 01:16 AM
Tamaro,

Replant them to bigger pots. I've heard both sides on starting inside vs direct seeding. Maybe I have some super cukes, but I started them inside, transplanted to a larger pot, and then transplanted again outside to the containers I wanted them in.

They are looking pretty good.

Let us know how your's works out.

Good luck.

Shawn

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cucumber Questions| Next thread: Cucumber troubles »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: