The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rats

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: raspy raspberries| Next thread: Raw tomato sauce »
Back to Thread index
by Lyndsay on May 03, 2005 03:47 PM
I have rats in my garden, and I'm absolutely horrified!! I live in an apartment building and am fortunate to be on the ground level, which has allowed me to grow a beautiful little garden. But now these rats are ruining it! I tried rat poison once, and it helped a little but did not eliminate the problem. I can't try it this year because I now have a chihuahua who will eat absolutely anything. So I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for getting rid of rats without poison? Has anyone had luck with predator urine? Please help, they're SO gross.

Thanks so much!
-Lyndsay
by Dixie Angel on May 03, 2005 04:33 PM
Welcome to the board, Lindsay!

I would be horrified, too! The only thing I can think of is to get a cat that will get along with your pup! Don't be surprised if it brings its kill to you as a present, though!

Dianna

-
 -
by Fernie on May 03, 2005 04:53 PM
*shudder* I so hate rats. But I found them almost impossible to get rid of. My cats wouldn't kill them so what I ended up doing was putting a type of poison on pet store rat food in a locked bait station close to their burrows. The rats carried it back to their burrows and died there. I kept a close eye for any bodies so my cats and dogs couldnt' get ahold of the bodies because they would have died from that. A natural thing that might help is snakes....we have bull snakes here that eat mice and smaller rats and even baby rattlers!!! I know for some people, that cure is worse than the original problem. Others here might have much better ideas than this. But me, I am all for doing them in!!!!!

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by Longy on May 03, 2005 07:05 PM
Weren't chihuahuas bred as ratters? I'm sure it would be very easy to teach a little dog like that to kill rats. keep him busy too. Dogs can be great ratters. Just get him excited by the chase and praise him up once he gets into it. He'll love it:)
by RugbyHukr on May 04, 2005 04:33 AM
Yes, predator urine. Check out link.

fox scent

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: raspy raspberries| Next thread: Raw tomato sauce »
Back to Thread index