The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

first leaves. . . .

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: First Kangaroo Paw Fern| Next thread: First plants in the garden »
Back to Thread index
by Danno on May 10, 2006 02:04 PM
hey guys, i shoulda snapped a picture beforehand, as i said earlier this is my first year gardening and i started everything indoors. lesson learned! [gabby]

Anywho. . my zuchini & yellow squash plants are growing like theyre on steroids! [muggs] and the first leaves were starting to wilt, yet the rest of the plant was healthy as can be. I've repotted and they took off like giants. . . but the first leaves were wilting.

A lil late on asking this, but for future FYI. . do i pinch these off? None of my other plants are having this, only these squash plants but then again these are the farthest advanced plants so far.
by ChristinaC on May 10, 2006 02:10 PM
The first set of leaves are cotyledons..they're not actual true leaves. Mine quite often wilt as well. I've never pinched them but when I pot them up, I'm always sure to plant my plants so that the cotyledons are also buried. I'm sure others may pinch them off but I just never bothered.
Sounds like you're doing a great job!! [thumb]

Christina

-
 -
by Danno on May 10, 2006 06:42 PM
on a further note for next year christy. . . when i sow the seeds directly in soil (the squash plants for example) am i to dig em up and replant them deeper once theyre growing taller?
by johnCT on May 11, 2006 02:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Danno:
am i to dig em up and replant them deeper once theyre growing taller?
No need to do that.

The function of the seed leaves(cotyledons) is to provide the plants nutrient needs until the plant can manufacture it themselves by way of photosynthesis. This can't be done until the true leaves show up. It is normal for the seed leaves to wither and fall off once the serve their purpose, but its OK to inch them once they do start to wither. Cucurbits normally grow very fast which is why most people choose only to direct sow them after frost danger has passed. Another reason is they don't transplant well. Your progress sounds pretty normal with cucurbits though. Good luck.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: First Kangaroo Paw Fern| Next thread: First plants in the garden »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: