The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

YUCK!!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Yuccas in big trouble !!!| Next thread: Yuck, yuck, yuck! »
Back to Thread index
by rozy221 on March 26, 2005 10:44 PM
We had this Rose of Sharon tree, and it was pretty old, but it was doing fine up until last year. I don't know why, but half of it just seemed to die, while the other half continued to live and make leaves (I don't quite remember, but I don't think even the good half bloomed last year). Well, DH noticed the other day that the bad half was totally rotted and pretty much fell apart with a swift kick from his size 12 timberlinds. So today he dug it out, and found these THINGS:
 -
I know it's not the clearest pic: They're kind of worm-like, but they're fat and white-ish with brown heads. I'm wondering what they are, where did they come from-did they kill the tree or did the dying tree draw them to it? And now what, now that the tree is gone (he said they seemed to be INSIDE the bark)-will they go for the nearest plant? Oh ya-this was strange too-we also found several, what we believe to be, seceda (sp?) bugs. We've seen them around the yard, and around this tree, in the past, just hanging out on the tree, fence, or shed. But they were amongst the yuck-are they bad too? I always thought they were harmless-just ugly? Any advice on what to do next? (or what NOT to do?) Thanks!
by weezie13 on March 26, 2005 10:49 PM
Rozy,
Take a peak at this, does the grub look the
same in your picture as in these???
Japanese Beetle Grub

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by rozy221 on March 27, 2005 03:47 AM
Yup! As usual, you hit the nail on the head, Weezie! All I have to say is YUCK. It looks like I've got some problems going out there, huh? I really don't have very much good grass, so I was thinking, do you think that by tilling the whole yard (or at least most of it) that I might get rid of these nasty creatures?
by weezie13 on March 27, 2005 07:27 AM
Rozy,
I would have to go an organic way if I
said anything...
I am not much for chemicals...

Here's one from Gardens Alive Grub Control..

And maybe I can see if the Buglady can pop by,
she's into those things...

Weezie

Maybe I can find you a chemical one too,
but I'd try the organic one first...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Buglady on March 27, 2005 09:46 AM
It could be a Japanese beetle but keep in mind there are many other grubs species out there like May or June beetles, northern and southern masked chafers, European chafer, Asiatic garden beetle, or green June beetle. The only way to tell them apart, I am sorry to say, is by looking at their "butts". that part of the anatomy is called their raster.
Identification of White Grubs

The reason ID would be important is to know if the grubs were really the problem. They may just be a secondary problem.

With half the tree dead... i would think it was more fusarium, a disease.

But if high numbers of grubs are present you may want to treat. Beneficial nematodes are a great way to control them. Just make sure you get the right species for the right climate zone.

Good Luck! Let me know if you have any other question...

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Yuccas in big trouble !!!| Next thread: Yuck, yuck, yuck! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: