The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

question on hardening off

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Question on Canning| Next thread: Question on my Gardenia »
Back to Thread index
by DeeLuzon on May 03, 2006 03:48 AM
this is my second year of gardening and my first to have started seeds inside & today is the first day of the rest of their lives... my babies (tomatoes, herbs & flowers, mostly) will take their innaugural trip from their incubator out to the sheltered porch (and, in a few days, out beyond). I've read lots on the methodology of this (15 minutes today, 30 tomorrow, etc), but I can't figure out if, once the process is begun, do I continue to use the grow lights inbetween excursions, or am I/the seedlings finished with the supplemental illumination?

i worried way less when my then-toddler son would wander around the mall; the toughest part of parenting is learning to let go!!

thanks in advance for advice!

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
- Oscar Wilde
by johnCT on May 03, 2006 04:00 AM
Continue to use the lights, but reduce the length they are on by how long you're leaving the plants outside.

John - Zone 6
by DeeLuzon on May 03, 2006 04:32 AM
thank you!

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
- Oscar Wilde
by comfrey on May 03, 2006 04:46 AM
I just leave mine outdoors....The first day I put them in partial shade, then move to all shaded, the next day I let them have full sun for awhile unless I see they are wilted, then back to shade and after 3-5 days of this they are able to take full sun without wilting and then they are ready.

-
 -
by 'Sparagus on May 03, 2006 09:47 AM
Hi! Ive been putting my tomato, hot pepper, and okra plants (started indoors and under flourescents) out on every sunny day we've had, right in the full sun, all day, and then back under the lights when it got dark out, till I turned them off around 10.

The tomato and pepper plants have spent the last 2 nights outside, near the house and under a bucket. BOY do they look happy in the morning!!! Im considering planting soon.

They do get dry MUCH faster outside, so be careful.

[flower]
by comfrey on May 03, 2006 02:56 PM
You want to not water very much while hardening off, that is part of the process also. Its ok for them to dry out a bit, so be careful with the water when they first go outdoors to harden off.

-
 -
by DeeLuzon on May 03, 2006 05:07 PM
thanks to everyone for all the help!

- Oscar Wilde

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Question on Canning| Next thread: Question on my Gardenia »
Back to Thread index