The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I notice some of you...........

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Firstyeargardener2006 on May 01, 2006 04:34 PM
I notice some of you soak seeds in water. Why [dunno] ? I also read someone soaked it in milk and something else. Why [dunno] ? what does it do to or for the seed it self. I have never heard of this until now.

Can someone please explain.
Thank you,
Nicky [flower]

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by obywan59 on May 01, 2006 06:26 PM
It helps seeds get a head start. It's especially helpful with slower to germinate seed or seed that has thicker seed coats. i.e. spinach carrots, beets, parsley... Sometimes I use plain water, and other times liquid seaweed.

It works with other seeds also. I've actually pregerminated seeds before--planting after shoots start poking out of the seeds. With these I rolled the seeds in paper towels and moistened them. I think I planted most of my pole bean seeds this way last year.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by 'Sparagus on May 02, 2006 12:12 AM
It's a must for moonflowers and morning glories....well except for the 8 million plants that come up from last year's seeds, that is! [Big Grin]

I never heard of doing it for veggie seeds though. Has anyone done this with parsley?? Those take forever. I guess I could try it!

Karen [flower]
by Firstyeargardener2006 on May 02, 2006 02:43 PM
I have not had a problem before with just planting them, but if that is a better way I will try it next year.
Thank you,
Nicky [angel]

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by comfrey on May 02, 2006 03:31 PM
Okra seed should also be soaked over night before planting to help speed the germination...In most cases it softens the outer seed coating to help them be able to germinate better.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: