The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

English Ivy

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: English Ivy| Next thread: English Ivy and African Violet »
Back to Thread index
by BFVISION on April 26, 2005 03:38 AM
Any English Ivy growers out there in zone 6 or colder [Eek!] ? I have always had success growing this in warmer climates [Love] and planted it this past summer hoping for the same success. Unfortunately it seems to be the last plant to start showing any signs of life [dunno] . Got em grouped in a good spot that recieves sunshine [grin] all day long, they thrived last summer and fall. This is the first winter for them and I am concerned. Does anyone know if they are slow to turn around?

BFVISION

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by rozy221 on April 26, 2005 05:23 AM
I too am in Z6 and have English Ivy (I think). It hasn't started putting out any new growth yet this year, and I also have it in a very sunny, warm spot. So I think it's a little too early to worry yet, although someone who knows a little better may have something to add.....
good luck! [wayey]
by GiselaT on April 26, 2005 08:22 AM
Hi -- I'm in zone 5 and mine comes back every year...no matter how hard I try and get rid of it! [Wink]
It's a little early yet. I expect to see some new growth on mine by the end of May. Unless it just decides to snow all summer in Ohio... [Roll Eyes]

Gisela
by Barb Illinois Zone 5 on April 27, 2005 01:24 AM
Hi, all!
If English Ivy takes forever to come back here in northern Illinois (zone5) it must take even longer in zone 6. Mine's just starting to regain color this week. Give yours time...I've seen it growing for several years in the same yard in Bear Lake MI so it must be hardy!
One of mine grows from a cutting I was given by one of the gardeners at the Governor's Mansion in Williamsburg VA and the other I begged for at Monticello. It's an easy plant to preserve while traveling and I have a bit of history in my own yard.
Hope this helped!
Barb

-
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intent of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
"WHOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!"
by BFVISION on April 28, 2005 03:17 AM
Thanks to all [muggs] . Do you think feeding them now would help [thinker] ?

BFVISION

BFVISION

by Bill on April 28, 2005 03:35 AM
I don't recommend feeding any plant that isn't showing signs of growth, with the exception of adding transplant fertilizer or bulb food when appropriate.

quote:
One of mine grows from a cutting I was given by one of the gardeners at the Governor's Mansion in Williamsburg VA and the other I begged for at Monticello.
That's my kind of treasure!!!

-
by BFVISION on May 05, 2005 02:58 AM
[Eek!] [Eek!] Still no signs of life. Starting to worry [perplexed]

BFVISION

BFVISION

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: English Ivy| Next thread: English Ivy and African Violet »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: