The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

new member needs radish help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by joegardener on April 30, 2006 06:31 AM
My radish leafs look great but no radish.all I have is a root this is happening with the white and red ones whats up, any help would be apreciated.
by peppereater on April 30, 2006 07:16 AM
They should have radishes by about 30 days from germinating. How old are they?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by mater sandwich on April 30, 2006 07:41 AM
I am not an expert with radishes but here is what I have. I planted 3 types 1 month ago today, German Giant, German Beer, and Easter Egg. All of the leaves are large and healthy looking. The German Giant and Easter Egg started enlarging their roots about a week ago while the German Beer hasn't. (The German Beer does not grow the standard bulb shape just a thickened root). Yesterday I harvested my largest Easter Egg radish which was about half typical size, I couldn't wait!

For the last month the weather here in the Carolina's has been great for gardening. How has your weather been?

How long have they been growing and what types do you have?

Do they have enough space between plants for the bulbs to grow?

Lastly, my plants are only getting about 7 hours of sun and I expect them to take longer not being in full sun.

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....
by peppereater on April 30, 2006 07:57 AM
I'm jealous, Mator.
Weather here's been lousy for cool season stuff.
I'd love to have some radishes, especially the giant types. Amazing how sweet they are home grown. I've always wanted to grow some of the ones that get apple sized!
I'm thinking that if it's not just too early or a case of overcrowding, if it could be either excess nitrogen or a lack of phosphorous. P is needed for good bulb production, but I'd think a deficiency would show up as other problems as well.

-
Dave
by mater sandwich on April 30, 2006 08:20 AM
I mentioned the weather since he was from Illinois. I was thinking that the weather might not have been cooperating for him this Spring.

I was getting impatient with my radishes early last week when they just started showing signs of growing bulbs. How does that saying go....A watched pot never boils. That was me...So yesterday, I snagged one out early and it was good. (not trying to rub it in) {grin}

I agree with you on other problems probably showing up if there was a soil deficiency.

Hopefully for him it will just be the case of impatience like I had/have.

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....
by 'Sparagus on April 30, 2006 12:26 PM
I cant really add much that hasnt been said already. Just that growing radishes is so much fun, I always plant them, even though I really dont like them that much. Luckily I have a friend that loves them. Nothing is more beautiful than a freshly picked bunch!

Karen [flower]
by weezie13 on April 30, 2006 04:46 PM
I have radish's growing from letting my radish's
go to seed last year.....The babies are everywhere.. mine are how the above/top/first post stated, but I know mine have just started
and will eventually fill out..

Check with your watering..
It is verrrrrrrrry important with radish's to keep moisture levels constant..
not sopping wet,
but moist.. that ensures a long root, and not woody or hot... [thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by lakegran on May 01, 2006 11:49 AM
This is another radish question from a newbie, mine are looking good but prettty close together. Should thin them out? I love growing spinach for that reason you use as you thin.

-
by mater sandwich on May 01, 2006 03:01 PM
Lakegran,
Welcome to the forum.
You will need to thin them out based on the size of bulbs that your type of plant will grow. Using scissors to cut off the tops is better than pulling the plants out and risking damage to the remaining roots.

by joegardener on May 02, 2006 01:53 PM
after reading your posts I think its an overcrowding issue everything looks good except for the radish thanks for your help [grin]
by weezie13 on May 02, 2006 02:11 PM
Keep us posted on your radish's...

Here's a quick picture of the flowers from
my radish's..
 -

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by joegardener on May 02, 2006 02:20 PM
I saw your picture of flowers on your radishes and my dad always had us kids pull them up when the flowers were there. they were no good after that according to him , but we always had radishes but we also had 6 rows 30 ft long should I wait them out and see what happens
by weezie13 on May 02, 2006 02:24 PM
Yes, your dad is/was absolutely correct..
By the time you see the flower, those radish's are soooooooo hot and woody, no one would want to eat them...
but I am an experimenter, I am slow, and I love flowers, soooooooo I let them go.. and the butterflies loved them... they were so pretty *I think* and I got free seeds and babies out of it..

It may not be a good thing for a regular garden, or gardener.......

Well, as far as waiting, I would, I know mine are just starting to take hold....

How long ago did you plant them????

Did they get hit by any of the hard frosts lately?

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by joegardener on May 02, 2006 02:29 PM
Iplanted them in mid march no frost I did get a few yeasterday but most are about ready to flower. Ithink I might have to try again.
by weezie13 on May 02, 2006 02:49 PM
Your radish's are about to flower???????????

And you didn't get any radish's????

Okay, back me up here....

When you planted them, were they inside or out?

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by lakegran on May 03, 2006 11:45 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the advice to snip rather than pull, I had not heard of that.
We are finally getting some nice rain here today......
love that sound. Time to curl up with a book...LOL
I am so happy to have found this forum. You are terrific.

-
by joegardener on May 03, 2006 02:42 PM
I planted them in mid march, outside the temps were mid 40s. I pulled them all up today and had 6 rads out of 2 rows From replys I may have put them to early??. Iput in 3 rows today and will find out in 30 to 45 days if that was the problem. Iwill let you know. fingers are crossed
by peppereater on May 03, 2006 02:59 PM
No such thng as planting radishes too early if they come up and leaf out well. Planting too late, however, can mean crop failure or very tough, hot bulbs.

-
Dave
by weezie13 on May 03, 2006 04:12 PM
Yeah, my seeds over wintered and start all on
their own....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by joegardener on May 30, 2006 11:29 AM
I just got home from a long weekend went out to the garden and picked about 50 radishes and they were perfect I think it might of been an overcrowding issue all happy now [Wink] thanks everyone
by weezie13 on May 30, 2006 03:15 PM
I was eatin' some today too!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by joegardener on May 30, 2006 03:26 PM
Weezie on the post for above ground radishes they were talking about putting thin sliced rads on dark bread with butter as a sandwich sounds strange but i'll try almost anything once.
by weezie13 on May 30, 2006 03:29 PM
It does sound a bit.. [nutz] but if it's good, it's good...
I have never gotten the radishes at my house, past the backyard, and a good swipin' on my pants to wash the dirt off and eatin' in the back yard..
I swear, I can't get them in the house... [dunno] [Embarrassed] [Wink]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Marina on May 30, 2006 03:41 PM
That was me with the radish sandwhiches. I'm from Russia and its a long time family thing [Smile] Dark bread (wheat, rye, etc) butter, thinly sliced radishes and some salt on top.....yum [Wink]

Hope you enjoy if you try!!! I am so happy to hear you're yanking some up [Wink]
by weezie13 on May 30, 2006 04:09 PM
My Granny Loveddddddd radishes, she would just clean 'em up and salt them good...
I tend to eat them that way myself..
I think she used to eat them on a sandwich,
but I've been sitting here thinkin' and for the life of me, I can't remember what she did with them...
*it may very well have been butter..*
[dunno]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by dodge on May 31, 2006 04:50 AM
Hark
Radishes are cool weather crops.. They must grow fast or no results in the bottom.

Right now 82 degrees is not going to do it.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by joegardener on May 31, 2006 03:39 PM
Dodge
May 4 I planted 3 new rows because the early spring ones produced no bulb. its been hot 75 at night up to 90 during the day Monday I picked the best crop of rads I've ever had, at least 30 or more. [thumb]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: