The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tips on growing spinach

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by rimorchione on April 29, 2006 04:42 AM
I'm in a zone 6 and I'm thinking about planting spinach this Saturday (April 29). Would that be too early? Also, any other tips for growing spinach? Thanks!
by Winston on April 29, 2006 05:53 AM
Great question! I planted some about 3 weeks ago, some in a cold frame.... it is coming up, but slowly. I would be curious to learn of any spinach tips.

Compost... Beautiful Compost
by 'Sparagus on April 29, 2006 07:29 AM
Im sure it's fine, I think we can plant spinach super early, like in March!

I tried to plant some for a Fall crop, but did it so late, it just came up around when it got cold (shoulda planted in like August I think, and waited till mid Sept!) Anyways, the sprouts survived all winter, and now are really looking good! I could probably have a spinach salad or two already.

So....it's hardy stuff!

[flower] Karen

Also in Zone 6
by tkhooper on April 29, 2006 07:40 AM
I bought the seeds but I'm to scared to try planting it. It gets warm here so quickly. And then it snows and then it gets warm and then it snows and then it......It's been a very strange year so far.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on April 29, 2006 11:37 AM
I'm in Zone 5, I planted my spinach a week ago..it's sprouted and doing wonderfully. It can handle cooler temps...it's been back down to zero here the last couple nights...and it's still going strong. Go ahead and plant it. [thumb]

-
 -
by Wrennie on April 30, 2006 01:11 AM
Spinach should be planted 6 weeks before your last frost, and can be done again in the fall 8 weeks before your first frost date.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by obywan59 on April 30, 2006 05:58 AM
I hardly ever plant in the spring. I planted 2 batches of spinach this past fall. One I got a harvest from before frost. I covered them both with row tunnels and have been harvesting on the first planting already. I could be harvesting on the second also. Spinach that has been exposed to freezing temperatures is SOOO sweet!!! [thumb]

To speed spinach seed along, I soak overnight in water or a seaweed solution before planting.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by hjolicoeur on April 30, 2006 08:45 AM
I have some planted now, and my neighbor planted some about a week before I did and hers is coming up now. Mine is just starting to show.

It shouldn't be too early to plant it now, unless you are further north than I am....

~Heidi
by 'Sparagus on April 30, 2006 12:22 PM
quote:
Spinach that has been exposed to freezing temperatures is SOOO sweet!!!
I better try my stuff from Fall then! It looks amazing!
by Bestofour on May 02, 2006 05:23 AM
so...if I want to plant it as a fall crop I can wait and plant the end of August?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: