The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

need help with gravel driveway weeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by M. on September 19, 2005 11:00 PM
Our gravel driveway looks almost like an overgrown lawn. We used the strongest "Roundup" about 3 months ago. It worked somewhat, but now all the weeds and more have grown back. I would also like to use an easy, less expensive, non-chemical solution. Does vinegar work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

M.
by weezie13 on September 19, 2005 11:14 PM
Hello M.,
Just wanted to let you know I was going to move
your post into the Landscape trials and triumphs
area... I think you'll get a few more responses'
into that section.
But I also wanted to Welcome you to The Garden Helper's Forum, we're very glad you found us!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tamara on September 21, 2005 07:47 AM
I use ammonia in a spray bottle, works 10 times better than roundup.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by Jiffymouse on September 21, 2005 11:12 AM
if your driveway is in the sun, vinegar will work nicely! i've used it lots. haven't used the amonia, not sure about the effect on the soil.
by papito on September 21, 2005 09:39 PM
For driveway weeds, I also use household vinegar [5% strength] in spray bottle. I use it in either diluted form [1 part water+ 1 part vinegar] or full strength. I use vinegar extensively as cleaning agent, so I buy it by the gallons.

Tamara, thanks for the info on Ammonia.

Jiffymouse, I haven't tried household ammonia either [usually 5%-10% strength], but believe that the low concentration will not severely affect the soil. The amount of ammonia in the soil will decrease in a few days.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by mrsmessy on September 21, 2005 11:34 PM
do you know if this also works on mold/mildew growing in the driveway? I don't like using bleach because it ends up all over me.

-
Bev
by Karrie on October 03, 2005 10:16 AM
We killed ours with a weed killer sorry dont know the name of it. Then I got a propane tourch and burned it. I had a ton when they put in the driveway they didnt peal back the earth under it. It was a mess. We still have alot of weed controll to do in that area. I did the burn thing because I didnt want to have to pull up all those brown dead weeds.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by tkhooper on October 03, 2005 11:32 AM
I think I would try taking the gravel out laying down some type of non pourous material then a layer of baking soda and then put the gravel back. The weeds or anything else isn't going to grow there with the baking soda present. But you do have to come up with a way to make sure the baking soda doesn't get loose.
by catlover on October 04, 2005 12:20 AM
M....you stated:
quote:
We used the strongest "Roundup"
....Just an FYI...[from my personal experience] my guess the reason the RU did not work for you is because the concentration (I'm assuming you used full strength...as you stated you used the strongest)was too much. The label will tell you the % needed for different types of weeds, grasses, young or old,etc. If you used too strong a solution it will kill the top growth before it has time to work it's way down the roots system to kill it completely. You will wipe out the majority on the first spraying but you may need to go back and spot spray to get the few you missed or are very stubborn. You need to water thoroughly first to get them good and healthy and then zap them with the round up. If you have previously let the weeds go to seed before zapping them you will obviously get more weeds in which case you will need to spray for those. For optimum results spraying on a warm but not hot day you will see the results sooner...usually within 4-7 days they will yellow. By a week they will start turning brown. Make sure before spraying that it has enough time for the chemical to dry before a rain (6 hrs. to thoroughly dry)otherwise the rain will wash it off. I also add some detergent to break the surface tension so the chemical will adhere to the leaves. It already has a surfactant in it but I personally found it works better with the added detergent. By at least the 6th week probably sooner you will be able to either pull the dead weeds out or weed whack at the soil level. Remember it is a non-selective systemic so be sure not to spray on a windy day....it will kill other plants!!!

Since the patent ran out on Round Up there is another brand called Remuda...that has the exact same ingredients and is less expensive.....I have used both Round up and Remuda with the same results.

I realize you now want to go the organic route but I just needed to let you know what might have happened on your application.

Catlover

-
 -
 -
by Longy on October 12, 2005 01:06 AM
Maybe sealing the driveway is the answer. It doesn't come too cheap of course but once sealed it will remain relatively weed free.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: