The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Blocking a Street View

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Blisters on tomatos??| Next thread: Blood Orange tree »
Back to Thread index
by Swyner on January 04, 2006 02:34 AM
I have currently had a developer buy a lot of land behind my property and clear the land to put in an office space. When he cleared the land, he removed the trees providing privacy between my back yard and a major street. Now as I look out my back yard I see his construction site and the main street. I am hoping to plant evergreen trees on my property that will restore some of the privacy I enjoyed, however I need something that will grow well in the shade, as there are some pine trees still left that will be blocking the sun to anything new I plant.
Does anyone have any suggestions for evergreens, (or anything that will provide privacy) that will grow well in the shade in Atlanta?
Thank you.
by badkitti on January 04, 2006 05:43 AM
Afraid I'm a newbie but will a trellis or fencing be a good start with climbers that will eventually screen out the view?

------------------------------------

"Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows. (Jennifer Unlimited)"
by weezie13 on January 04, 2006 06:28 AM
Hello Swyner,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum..
We're very glad you found us..
Just wanted to let you know that I was going to
move your post into the Landscape trials and triumphs section...
You should get a few more replies into that section better..

And don't forget to take a peak around,
there's a very nice site here, lot's of info
on Bill's Main Page's... and ton's of stuff to
do with in the forum...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by peppereater on January 04, 2006 09:52 AM
swyner...i'm assuming you have cherry laurel around there, they tolerate a lot of shade. They'll grow fairly quick, eventually to 15 to 25 feet. Nandinas, heavenly bamboo, grow quickly to 5 feet or better in a season or 2, are low maintenance, and tolerate anything. Many hollies tolerate shade well, the Taxus yews prefer shade, and there are many varieties from mounding types to uprights, although these are slow growers. What about rhododenrons? They'd love the acid soil under pines. Yaupon holly would do well, especially if you are near the coast and need salt spray tolerant shrubs. Need more ideas?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Blisters on tomatos??| Next thread: Blood Orange tree »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: