The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How Soon Is Too Soon? (starting plants indoors)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: how often for fish fert?| Next thread: How to...Roses »
Back to Thread index
by Tipster_Chad on April 25, 2006 12:12 PM
It's April 24th here in Michigan, and I can't get anything outside until after frost date (May 14th) which is about 3 weeks away. How soon should I start my squash, pumpkins, and watermelons indoors? Started them too early last year and they started taking over the house!!! (then they wilted when I put them outside)

-Sarah ZONE 5

"But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully"
2nd Corinthians 9:6
by markr on April 25, 2006 12:30 PM
3 weeks sounds good to me!
im starting now over here too.
we did have a frost on the 14th a couple of years ago, ouch!!

-
Mark
by 'Sparagus on April 25, 2006 01:52 PM
Sarah,

Im trying watermelons for the first time this year and I did read that 3 weeks ahead is good for them, any longer and they dont like it. Im guessing it would be the same for the squash and pumpkins too.

Actually I had it on my calendar to plant them today.....oops! [Roll Eyes] Maybe tomorrow!

Karen [flower]
by Wrennie on April 26, 2006 12:48 AM
I started mine a week or so ago and my last frost is May 30.
If they get too big I just start some more. I've also started them right in the garden

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by tkhooper on April 26, 2006 01:32 AM
one way to avoid the wilt/transplant shock is to fertilize them a week before the transplant.

-
 -
by Danno on April 26, 2006 08:51 AM
Aye i too started mine indoors a week ago (april 18th) I'm new to this as well, but everyone that i am friends with & garden, they all said to start indoors for early yeilds 3-4 weeks before last frost (aka transferring outdoors date they tell me).

Plan on putting them outdoors (still potted) to break them in round may 10thish and transplanting a week later. You say to fertilize them a week prior to lessen the strain? Miracle grow tomatoe food work fine? and if so. . diluted mixture at all?
by Tipster_Chad on April 26, 2006 10:35 AM
Wow! Thanks a lot guys! I guess I'd better get planting!!!

-Sarah ZONE 5

"But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully"
2nd Corinthians 9:6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: how often for fish fert?| Next thread: How to...Roses »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: