The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Planting bulb questions in dallas area

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Planting between flagstones?| Next thread: planting bulbs »
Back to Thread index
by angelblossom on December 31, 2005 09:33 AM
First I hope I'm in the right area for posting this question,, Secondly I've never planted bulbs EVER! Third today I turned the soil in my 'Tree ring' north side of house; ring was there when I moved in and dirt has never been touched by me any ways nothing has grown there ..
I removed rocks and 'weeds turned over soil about a foot deep added organic compost, 40 lbs.. and turned that in and added some peat moss don't know why just did anyway , now the soil is light and 'fluffy. I had bought bulbs a month ago but was told they had to be 'chilled, 1st and would be ready January 1st. this gives me two days to find out how to plant and care for; the weather is supposed to be in the high 60 's - 70 can some one PLZZZZZZ help me out here,,?? I have...
5 bags 30 count each gaint crocus
3 bags 15 count each hyacinthoides(mixed)
4 bags 8 count each tulipa apricot beauties

do I water as soon as I put in? should I add bulb booster to the soil or put directly in bulb hole when planting? and should I place mulch on top of soil after planting? we've only had one good cold spell lasting just a few days. tho I'm sure more will come [dunno] .. ..

any suggestions would be soooo appreciated! [kissies]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by tkhooper on December 31, 2005 10:40 PM
Well when I planted mine I used bone meal in the hole. And I covered the bed with 3 inches of light mulch. But this is the first year I have planted them and I don't know if they are going to grow or not. I interspersed them with a bunch of daffodils. I have my fingers crossed. The one thing I did notice is that they like the soil slightly alkaline too.

-
 -
by JV on January 01, 2006 09:17 AM
Diane forgot to tell you in the PM Tammy jolted my memory . I also use bone meal as well as blood meal you can put in you bulb starter as you plant. Glad to see your using organic so do I. I would put water in the hole also I put just a little white sugar in mine to stimulate biological activity.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by angelblossom on January 01, 2006 11:15 AM
Jimmy and TK ., Thanks sounds like a winner!, blood/bone meal, bulb booster and a little white sugar sounds like a freaky reciepe to me [shocked] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
But if the bulbs like it then I love it! [flower] [Love] [thumb] [Big Grin]

Thanks again for your help Jimmy and Tammi [muggs] Happy new Year!!!!!!!!!

-
 -
by tkhooper on January 01, 2006 11:41 AM
Happy New Year to you too. And I hope the bulbs do really well for you. I'm hoping they manage through the droughts. I lost the tulips I planted last year because of the extreme heat and lack of water.

-
 -
by Oui on January 02, 2006 12:41 AM
Angelblossom: Sounds like you worked the soil right. Your bulbs will split (multiply) easier in lose soil. I planted a bed of Red Tulips 2 years ago. My soil work was similar to what you described. every year since, each bulb splits 3 or more times. So I move the new bulbs around and the bed is now PACK FULL of red tulips. I planted them around February, they still came up. I had some daffodils too but did not plant them then. In May I noticed that the daffodil bulbs were growing in the packages that I had left out in my shed. I planted them and they came up and bloomed. I think that was just luck. Make sure you put the bulbs in right side up. The side that looks flat goes toward the bottom.

Only thing I used on them was bloom booster. But I do not consider myself a expert gardener...I am more "a seat of the pants gardener".

Good Luck...Your arrangement sounds VERY pretty..Please show us some pictures when they come up.
by neko nomad on January 02, 2006 01:44 AM
Hi, Angelblossom (love the name)

At 200+ bulbs to set out, perhaps your immediate challenge is that of labor. Any guest workers available for hire in the neighborhood ? (kidding, but you will need some backache remedy)) I've been setting mine out piecemeal over the years, and the spring blooms are such a welcome sight after our long winters:
 -
Well worth the effort ! Wishing you sweet success !
by tkhooper on January 02, 2006 03:45 AM
Great Picture neko,

You give the courage to keep right on planting bulbs.

-
 -
by angelblossom on January 02, 2006 05:41 AM
THANKS! Everyone !
TK- fortunatley the sprinkler system is on all four sides of the tree ring for the front yard , good thing 'Cuz it does get hot in TX!

oui- Whew!! thanks for confirming I did the soil prep okay I wasn't sure but I knew that old hard soil needed lossening and compost added, wasn't sure about the peat moss but I believe it may help with moisture retention for the hot weather.. Santa didn't bring the 'requested camera for Christmas but made up for it in other things I have so many plants I'd like to post I guess I have to buy one for myself LOL

Neko- OMG that's beautiful I pray mine only looks half as nice!! And nope NOONE to help,, this is my project and mine alone and I love working in the garden(s) alone, that way I only get the credit good or bad I have to own it. LOL

Thanks again!!

-
 -
by Oui on January 02, 2006 07:40 PM
I thought I should mention this...If you are only planting bulbs that will bloom for a certain period of time you might consider planting something else in the same garden that will come up and bloom the rest of the summer. Or maybe plan on putting some annuals in after the bulbs finish blooming. If you do put annuals in be careful not to dig up your bulbs. Also Grubs LOVE certain bulbs so you may need some insect control.
by tkhooper on January 02, 2006 10:48 PM
I'm planing on a pagoda flower/miniature snapdragon cover for my bulb beds. They are both shallow rooted plants that can be used exactly as you mentioned Oui. The glads and allium are summer and the snapdragons are spring fall so I think that will work perfectly. And the crocus and daffodil are spring with the pagoda being summer fall. I definitely don't want the sparse blooms that I had last year. So I've really been paying attention to bloom times and compatibility for this year. I have my fingers crossed on that one.

-
 -
by Oui on January 03, 2006 12:12 AM
in winter I plant purple pansies in the tulip bed. The pansies do not interfere with the tulips growth and actually make the garden a pretty combination of purple and red when the tulips come up. Then I put in Petunias (the wave kind)in summer.

Angelblossom: If your area is shady Impatients might work better in summer.
by angelblossom on January 03, 2006 10:00 AM
Oui I have planned on all season bulbs and will incorporate fall bloomers in later There is some shade but it does get early morning full sun until mid morning then later afternoon sun so the hottest part of the day say 11-3 will get partial shade...
you all have given great advice!! I just have to go get some bone meal . and I'll be ready oh yea I have to buy some ben-gay or absorben Jr,, lots of bending over coming my way !!! LOL

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Planting between flagstones?| Next thread: planting bulbs »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: