The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I've been dying to do this . . .

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Carly on July 07, 2005 09:45 AM
I finally lived out my daydream of doing this . . .

-

I had to dig a trench first - Jeff kicked in with the shovel after I started it. Then he packed them in.

It turned out so cute. It's right down at the s. e. corner of our lot and looks out onto the street.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by tkhooper on July 07, 2005 11:48 PM
Way To Go Carly,

That's a really nice western look.
by phoenix on July 08, 2005 02:00 AM
thats cool Carly,
what are you going to plant with them?

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Carly on July 08, 2005 07:00 AM
Whatever takes - weeds, I guess. The soil's just sand around there.

-
by MaryReboakly on July 08, 2005 07:31 AM
Am I the only one that can't see that pic? I think my browser has gone buggy on me [Frown]

-
 -
by hisgal2 on July 08, 2005 09:35 AM
i can see it ok

-
 -

-
by MaryReboakly on July 08, 2005 09:42 AM
Yeah, we just discovered our proxy server is what's messing us up on certain sites/links. Now to try to figure out how to fix that <grumbling graemlin> Fooey [Frown]

-
 -
by Merme on July 09, 2005 01:05 AM
Carly, living at the beach I know how difficult sandy terrain can be for planting. If you can't amend the soil, you could, with a little extra digging plant things in containers and set them into the sand at ground level so it seems as though they are coming right out of the ground directly.

Your photo looks nice!

[thumb]

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by Carly on July 09, 2005 07:32 PM
Well, we're not that far from the beach, but our real problem is we're on acidic soil. Our lot has a lot of pine trees and you know how it is - pine tree land ain't grasslands, nor is it the kind of land where you do the blue hat society flower beds.

It's a woodland really, and as long as I remember that, I don't get frustrated.

When I look at stuff the neighbours have - places where there aren't a lot of pines, that's when I get hanging my head . . . really it's just as pretty as anyone else's. It's just a different kind of pretty.

I'd say it's more green stuff than anything else -and yes container gardening does work out in some places on the lot.

We've had some failures - the corners of the lot sections for one thing - it doesn't matter if you dig down a foot and add some nice dark topsoil - the clay still comes up and turns it to nice grey cracked pieces.

I expect it would take me about 5 years to really cultivate the whole lot. Although Jeff has worked as super here since the end of '94, it's only in the past 3 years that I've worked on the gardening - before that, it was non-existent - it was just a place where Jeff cut the weed/grass and raked the leaves. It was still a nice looking place, kinda' woodsy, just the same, but it certainly wasn't a garden.

There are places up along the fence where I can see someone has gardened a bit - I can tell by the way some of the old rocks that come up out of the soil are placed.

I don't know if I've got 5 years, but I figure what I do now adds to whatever the next gardener does - I'll be happy with that.

-
by Merme on July 09, 2005 11:46 PM
Your work is lovely, Carly. I also enjoy your ethic of improving the earth for the next inhabitant who passes that way. Very good stuff, indeed.

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by Carly on July 11, 2005 04:06 AM
Thank you, Merme.

Today I'm tackling my rock garden (it's fairly shady). The heat is terrible.

I spent the morning looking after my table garden and I had to use my big umbrella just to do the necessary transplants out there - whew!

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: