The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

growing potatoes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by davida580 on April 21, 2006 01:34 AM
does anyone know if you can plant potatoes you buy from the store to eat i have some that have started to sprout and am going to try them. also my beans have these little black nat looking bugs on them can anyone tell me a natural way to get rid of them? thanks
by johnCT on April 21, 2006 01:59 AM
Yes you can. Its not the preferred practice, but it certainly can be done. You can try insecticidal soap for the bugs.

John - Zone 6
by Wrennie on April 21, 2006 07:28 PM
I have planted potatoes that have 'sprouted in my kitchen before. They did fine. harvested lots of potatoes too.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Longy on April 22, 2006 02:29 AM
The reason for not using potatos from the store, is they are not certified to be disease free. Otherwise they are no different to seed potatoes. The certified ones are inspected. I've used both and fortunately never introduced any problems into my soil but this is a risk you take.
You'll find ones from in the cupboard will get small white shoots coming from the eyes. These are usually weak shoots which break off easily. Place them in an area of bright light for a week or so where they can green up a bit and this will encourage the shoots to strengthen. Then plant into prepared soil rich in organic matter. Or sow under a bed of straw enriched with blood and bone, manures and compost.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: