The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Did it get too cold for my peas?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Did I kill my palm plant?| Next thread: Dieffenbacchia »
Back to Thread index
by rimorchione on April 20, 2006 11:11 PM
I planted my peas (Wando) a week ago when the night low temperatures were hovering around 34 degrees F. Last night the temperature dipped to 19 degrees F. Do you think my peas will survive? Any tips/hints for growing peas? Thanks.
by johnCT on April 20, 2006 11:51 PM
Peas are very hardy. What did they look like this morning?

John - Zone 6
by PAR_Gardener on April 21, 2006 12:31 AM
Peas are actually a cold weather crop. They grow better in the spring and fall when temps are cooler. Peas will die off or stop producing when temps get to hot. Peas will survive a light frost without any noticable damage. If they haven't sprouted yet, the freeze shouldn't affect them.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by 'Sparagus on April 21, 2006 12:49 AM
Can I ask you pea experts a question of my own? How do they do with transplanting? Bad idea?
by rimorchione on April 21, 2006 01:03 AM
Whoops. I failed to mention that they have not sprouted yet, so I couldn't tell you how they looked this morning. Thanks for the information and reassurance. It is greatly appreciated!

'Sparagus: though I'm not an expert, I remember reading on my pea seed packet that peas are best planted directly in the soil.
by 'Sparagus on April 21, 2006 01:23 AM
Mine are up and about 2-3" tall, but in a VERY hot spot in my garden (microclimate as I like to call it) and Im afraid they arent going to make it too far, it's already getting in the 70s! I guess I could try with the plants I thin and see what happens! What zone are you in in UT?
by PAR_Gardener on April 21, 2006 01:25 AM
'Sparagus,

Don't transplant peas. They won't recover.

You can pre-sprout the peas, if you want to, but it's not necessary. Soak the seeds in water for 10-30 mins until they hydrate/are not wrinkly. Keep them moist, but not submerged in water. You can accomplish this by resting them on wet cotton balls. They should send out a root in a few days. Poke a hole for each pea, or dig a trench and plant with the root down.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by rimorchione on April 21, 2006 01:37 AM
I'm a zone 6, I believe.
by Amigatec on April 21, 2006 01:38 AM
I am trying peas one more time this year, they are up about 6" tall and look good, but it normally gets to hot for them here.

If they don't make it this spring I will try them this fall, and if they don't make it this fall, I will give up trying.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by peppereater on April 21, 2006 06:15 AM
Pat...I've had some luck with peas, more with snowpeas than sweetpeas, and it's just a bit hotter here than there. I think with practice I could get 2 crops a year, enough for some salads, stirfries etc.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by rimorchione on April 22, 2006 12:17 AM
It was 22 degrees last night, so a little better than the night before. My peas show no signs of coming up and I planted them eight days ago. I guess I just need to be patient and pray that they weathered the cold! What is the usual time to germination? The seed packets say 8-10 days. Should I be worried if they don't come up in that time frame or do they take longer sometimes?
by Amigatec on April 22, 2006 12:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by peppereater:
Pat...I've had some luck with peas, more with snowpeas than sweetpeas, and it's just a bit hotter here than there. I think with practice I could get 2 crops a year, enough for some salads, stirfries etc.
I think were you are in Zone 7 and here it is 6b. Father in law has not had good luck with peas in Norman either.

-
 -
by Amigatec on April 22, 2006 12:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rimorchione:
It was 22 degrees last night, so a little better than the night before. My peas show no signs of coming up and I planted them eight days ago. I guess I just need to be patient and pray that they weathered the cold! What is the usual time to germination? The seed packets say 8-10 days. Should I be worried if they don't come up in that time frame or do they take longer sometimes?
The local weather normally shows the soil temp on the nightly forecast. I always try to check that if I am worried about seeds freezing in the ground.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Did I kill my palm plant?| Next thread: Dieffenbacchia »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: