The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Blue Tomato Stems?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Blue Potato Bush| Next thread: Bluebell help! »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on April 19, 2006 11:18 PM
Ok something is wrong somewhere. I have three types of tomatoes in the garden this year and some of each are developing dark blue stems. Can someone please tell me what I did wrong this time? Thank you for the help.

-
 -
by peppereater on April 19, 2006 11:45 PM
Is it sort of purple? There was some discussion here about that indicating phosphorous deficiency.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by johnCT on April 20, 2006 01:52 AM
How old are the plants? What types? What are your fertilizer habits?

John - Zone 6
by tkhooper on April 20, 2006 07:12 AM
the plants are the seeds I planted this year. They are tiny tim, roma and grape. I use miracle grow, and epsom salt and egg shells. Sounds like I need to add something doesn't it?

-
 -
by peppereater on April 20, 2006 07:44 AM
Don't do anything until John or someone, maybe Julianna, weighs in. Which miracle grow are you using? Don't kill the plants with kindness, it's tempting to DO something, but you sure don't want to overfertilize or otherwise try to fix a problem that could resolve itself. How long have they been in the garden? They may adjust as they get settled in.

-
Dave
by ChristinaC on April 20, 2006 07:46 AM
Tammy...how old are they?

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 20, 2006 08:12 PM
They are young. I harvested the seeds last year and planted them in Febuary or March. I'd have to look it up to get an exact date. They have been transplanted for about 2 weeks now out in the garden. They were hardened off for about 10 days before they were planted.

The miracle gro is the all purpose water soluble kind.

-
 -
by Wrennie on April 20, 2006 08:19 PM
Sounds like too much fertilizer. M.G or the other things, not both, I'd think. I dont use the chemical kinds in my garden so I'm not positive.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by ChristinaC on April 20, 2006 08:21 PM
Have they just recently turned blue or have they always been like that?

Am I the only one that doesn't fertilize? Last year, I fertilized my tomatoes only twice!

-
 -
by Wrennie on April 20, 2006 08:24 PM
ChristinaC
I only do once wheen nothings been planted yet I add compost or manure.
Still have more veggies than I can use.

-
 -

-

by ChristinaC on April 20, 2006 08:29 PM
I always figure they'll let me know when they need something...and they always do fine for me..why fix something that isn't broken? [thumb]

-
 -
by Wrennie on April 20, 2006 08:41 PM
exactly! [muggs]
All that chemical stuff just destroys the soil, so you 'have to' add more. Sounds like marketing 101 to me.

-
 -

-

by johnCT on April 20, 2006 09:01 PM
So the plants are 8-10" or so? You may be adding a little too much fert but it doesn't sound too bad as long as you're not overmixing it. Should be 1 tsp per gallon if I'm not mistaken. Refrain from any additional fert until they start setting fruit. Do the plants seem otherwise healthy? Leaves not drooping? They don't look stressed? If so, it may be just a little transplant shock which is nothing to worry about? What about the weather conditions? Can you snap a couple digital pictures and post them? I wouldn't worry too much.

John - Zone 6
by comfrey on April 21, 2006 01:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
Am I the only one that doesn't fertilize? Last year, I fertilized my tomatoes only twice!
No Christina you not the only one....Last year I never fertilized mine at all, but in the past when I decided I did need to, I side dress with compost or manure (well rotted).

I would agree that the MG epsom salt and eggshell all together may be making some sort of reaction or over feeding of something.

-
 -
by Triss on April 21, 2006 01:21 PM
Christina, I do not add anything to my gardens either. I plant and if it grows, then it is great! If not then I try something different.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by peppereater on April 21, 2006 10:48 PM
I don't fertilize, either, except if something seems to be struggling to get going on it's own, them I water with fish emulsion. I try to make sure there's plenty of good nutrients in the soil, and I've found that there's not that much I can do if I don't get that part right. A good organic fertilizer or mix of things as a top dressing at the time of planting...compost, manure, etc., can be beneficial, but being an organic grower, most organic stuff isn't very water soluble and won't get down to where the roots can use it right away unless it's been dug in.

-
Dave
by Sorellina on April 21, 2006 11:14 PM
Ciao tkhooper,

There have been lots of good posts on this thread. It's very tempting for all of us to over-feed, I think it's the main reason people have problems with their plants, not understanding the whole growing cycle. A seedling's roots are very delicate and fertilizer can actually burn them, so one needs to be careful. I generally fertilize 2-3 times. I feed once when I do my 2nd potting up from yogurt cups to 16 oz cups with 10-52-10 "blue stuff". I fertilize again at transplanting into the garden with 10-52-10 again to help the roots get established only if it's been several weeks since they were potted up. Once the plants are very established and growing well but flowers are mainly immature, I give them a foliar feed of seaweed/fish emulsion. And lastly, I fertlize with very basic 10-10-10 at the first sign of fruit set. That's it. I put a scoopful of Myke's in the planting hole at transplant time as well to help the roots, but that's not really necessary. After that, the plants are on their own. Containers are a different story, however. Because they're "contained", they will deplete the nutrients in their pots very quickly and should be fed every two weeks during their growing cycle. Once they've stopped foliar growth, however, it's time to stop feeding them and just let the remaining fruits ripen and the plant to finish its cycle.

I hope this helps,
Julianna

-
by tkhooper on April 24, 2006 10:03 AM
Thanks Julianna,

Since the soil where I transplanted them is basically clay and since they turned very blue I decided I had to do something. I had 3 banana peels and I chopped them up very fine and then scratched them into the soil. It has been several days now and the blue color is starting to fade to a healthy green color. Not overnight but slowly. The ones on the second tier have produced their first set of buds. They are super tiny and I don't think they will produce fruit but it was good to see them all the same. I may get out there and make some compost tea for them for a foliar spray if I can just get some energy going.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Blue Potato Bush| Next thread: Bluebell help! »
Back to Thread index