The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

which sand for carrot bed?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: which mulch to use?| Next thread: Whip Pies »
Back to Thread index
by 'Sparagus on April 10, 2006 09:27 PM
hi all!

Im going to attempt carrots for the first time this year [clappy] and want to do it right. Planning on adding some sand to the area where they will be, but Im not sure which kind to use (or if it matters!). The local garden store has play sand, and builder's sand (what they use between pavers).

One book said to use the builder's kind because it's a bigger particle, that the fine play sand can compact down too much.....

Thoughts? Thanks!

Karen [flower]
by johnCT on April 10, 2006 10:19 PM
Do you have a heavy soil to begin with? Builder's sand is usually a little more coarse than play sand. If you incorporate some of that and A LOT of compost, you should be fine. Nothing can top compost for improving soil texture. I would also start with a shorter root carrot variety like maybe Danvers Half Long.

John - Zone 6
by 'Sparagus on April 11, 2006 02:20 AM
I did get the danvers half long and nantes half long too. Im assuming the soil is heavy, there is definitely some clay.

About compost: I have a "compost" bin which is a wire bin with leaves and garden/kitchen waste piled in, the stuff on the bottom is from 2003 and it's never been turned. Can I actually use it?! There are alot of roots throughout the bottom half. Weird [Frown]

-k [flower]
by Amigatec on April 11, 2006 09:54 AM
I planted mine in a big pot this year, I can't till down deeper than about 8" so I thought I would try something different this year.

So far it is working, but the pot takes LOTS of water.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by johnCT on April 11, 2006 09:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 'Sparagus:
the stuff on the bottom is from 2003 and it's never been turned. Can I actually use it?!
Absolutely!

John - Zone 6
by 'Sparagus on April 12, 2006 12:09 AM
Ok, I got my work cut out for me now! Im digging down a foot, taking all the dirt out and screening it, then adding the good stuff and hoping for the best!!!! When I get down a foot it's like solid clay. [scaredy]

Thanks for the tips!

-karen [flower]
by johnCT on April 12, 2006 12:13 AM
Yeah, its a LOT of work fixin' clay soil. Just keep adding compost. It'll pay off. I'm so glad I was blessed with a nice sandy loam on my property.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: which mulch to use?| Next thread: Whip Pies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: