The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Planted new tomatoes today !

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Deborah L. on April 07, 2006 11:50 AM
Today I planted two tomatoes that are new to me-a
Champion and a Sungold.
They're not from seeds, just bought the plants.
I wonder what the tomatoes will taste like.
It's fun though to try new varieties, right?
I love yellow pear tomatoes but didn't see any in the nurseries this year.
Does anyone grow artichokes?

-
 -
by Triss on April 07, 2006 12:06 PM
I have not heard of either of those varieties Deborah. Hope they do well for you.

Do not grow artichokes but would love to. Saw the plants in California and they are really unique and pretty!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Deborah L. on April 07, 2006 12:12 PM
Thanks, Triss.
I'm thinking about trying an artichoke in a huge tub.

-
 -
by Triss on April 07, 2006 12:23 PM
That would be really neat.

-
 -
by obywan59 on April 07, 2006 12:52 PM
Orange Sungold is my favorite cherry tomato. That and Red Grape.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by johnCT on April 07, 2006 08:32 PM
This will be my first year growing Sungold. I have read that this is one of the BEST cherries around! Can't wait to try one. [clappy]

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on April 07, 2006 10:56 PM
I like the yellow pear, they're tasty
and fun to pop in your mouth as you walk by... [thumb] [grin]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Deborah L. on April 07, 2006 11:31 PM
I read that the Sungold has a fruity flavor.
I can't wait either !
Yep, I love to pop a warm yellow pear in my mouth in the sunshine too !
Gardening rules ! [clappy]

-
 -
by Sorellina on April 08, 2006 12:37 AM
Ciao all,

IMO Sungold and Yellow Pear are world's apart...kind of like comparing my hockey playing ability to Mario Lemieux's. Sungold knocks you over with a fruity sweetness and I mean sweet, almost tropical. Sungold is also the only hybrid tomato I grow. The best thing I can say about Yellow Pear is that it's a great producer and you can't really kill it, even if you try real hard. I find them bland and on the mealy side for a cherry tomato. They make a decent marmalade though. And they're cute-looking.

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by peppereater on April 08, 2006 05:50 AM
Now I wish I had researched before I just bought seed at the store...I'm often intrigued by the name of a variety, or have a false impression of what it should be like. I bought yellow pear thinking it would be a pear shaped yellow, like a yellow version of Roma. I've never found a cherry type I'm all that crazy about...I would be growing Large Red Cherry this year, for the heck of it, but they didn't germinate! [Razz]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by weezie13 on April 08, 2006 05:56 AM
Here's what mine look like...
Tomato Yellow Pear/Totally Tomato

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on April 08, 2006 05:57 AM
I only eat the cherry or smaller tomatoes
when I'm outside... just a snack to snack on
when I'm in the garden... and the kids next door love the smaller ones...

I use the cherry red tomatoes for my husbands everyday salad when he goes to work....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Deborah L. on April 08, 2006 06:27 AM
Yes, that picture shows the good yellow pears I love to pick and eat on the spot !

-
 -
by Triss on April 09, 2006 06:08 AM
Oh those look really neat. Gonna have to plant some of those!

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 09, 2006 09:46 PM
Triss,
I'll send you some when I get your package packed..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Triss on April 10, 2006 12:39 AM
Cool, thanks Weezie!

-
 -
by always2shy on April 10, 2006 01:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:

Does anyone grow artichokes?

Are you talking about jerusalem or globe artichokes?

They have a new variety of globe artichokes called Imperial Star. They are supposed to grow better than green globe and can be planted as an annual or perrenial.

I ordered the seeds from parkseed.com, should be here Monday. I can't wait. [grin]
by Deborah L. on April 10, 2006 07:34 AM
I hope they do well for you ! And pictures showing us their progress would be great !
I'll look for a Imperial Star plant, and try it in a pot.
Wouldn't it be fun to walk outside and pick your own artichoke???
I love them hot with salty melted butter. YUM.

-
 -
by comfrey on April 11, 2006 02:40 AM
I also like the Yellow Pear tomatoes..I have tried the red ones, but prefer the yellow ones. I have 4 or 5 plants started of them and I will be just munching them from the garden most of the time.

-
 -
by Ivy9 on April 12, 2006 03:36 AM
Hi
If I buy a tomato plant from the nursery now, when should I put that outside? I live in Chicago
Thanks
by weezie13 on April 12, 2006 04:50 AM
Well, for me, in growing zone 5...
My getting the garden planted time is by Memorial Weekend.. I have planted stuff later, but squeek by some years...
*If it's in a container/pot... then you can put it out on your patio by the end of April probably..
*but you know ole man winter..
we've had a snow storm/blizzard here on May 8th, Mother's Day one year....*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Sorellina on April 12, 2006 10:38 PM
Dave,

What sorts of tomato flavours appeal to you? I'm sure I can find a cherry in my collection that would fit the bill, provided it's not too late for you to start seeds now.

Let me know eh?

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by peppereater on April 12, 2006 11:06 PM
Julianna! Good to hear from you, tomato lady! The Black Plum, Plum Lemon and Green Zebra you sent me are germinating...about 50% so far!
I planted most of my tomatoes much earlier, and they're ready to go in the garden now...I think they're sufficiently hardened off.
I can't stop myself from buying more seed every time I go to the store...I was horrified to realize I hadn't planted Beefsteak...somehow I thought I had, so I ran out and bought some seed, and had to get a pack of San Marzano and Super Marmande while I was at it. [nutz]
I think I may finally have enough seed... [Big Grin]
The Sungold sounds good, but as to what I really like best...Brandywine and the beefsteak types. Also REALLY looking forward to trying the Black Plum. I've not found any cherry types I'm fond of, I just don't think they have the true tomato taste. I had a smallish, 6 or 8 ounce variety last year that was great, it may have been Celebrity, but I lost track of what it was...I'm going to do a better job of labeling and documenting this year.

-
Dave
by Frisha on April 12, 2006 11:27 PM
Just plantted a yellow pear and a brandywine verity in some 5 gallons a few minutes ago. [Smile] None of the others I have are big enough to transplant yet. Tring several new verities for me this year to see what does best in the pots on the deck. I do love a good yellow tomato expecually for snacking.
by peppereater on April 12, 2006 11:33 PM
Frisha...I'm going to try several varieties of tomatoes in containers this year, including a Brandywine, but Brandywines get really BIG. It will take lots of support...also B.W.s are said to be sort of troublesome...I grow them every year, I love them. Mine produce well up until the daytime temps get up around 100. If you want to guarantee that they'll produce much, you may want to find a spot to grow it in the ground. I have lots of starts, so I'm safe gambling with one or two.

-
Dave
by Frisha on April 13, 2006 12:07 AM
Don't really have a decent place to put them in teh ground. We grew betterboys in containers last year and they got pretty big too but the supports we put in worked well for them so unless they get bigger then the better boys I think we'll be ok [Smile] I am really hpeing for tomatoes throught teh hot months most of our plants stopped producing for about a month or so last year so hoping the verity will give us a few during that time this year. We do water them daily in the pots. So unless they get bigger then the better boys I think we'll be good ont he size [Smile] these are teh same buckets we had the others in last year too [Smile]
by peppereater on April 13, 2006 12:15 AM
That sounds great, glad to know you've had good luck already. Did they produce a lot? What part of the country are you in? I'm trying different stuff all the time to see what will produce in the hottest months...and just to try them for taste!

-
Dave
by Frisha on April 13, 2006 12:34 AM
Centeral KY but in town so it's hotter then outside of. They produced a fair amount we had a couple rot before we coule eat them at one point had so many but that wasn't a norm, mostly the 4 plants 1 lemon boy 2 better boys and 1 cherry ( forgot what type) procuced enought for a salad every couple nights with hamburgers and the snacking ones for 2 poepel and gave a few to my parents.
by peppereater on April 13, 2006 12:43 AM
Not bad. I'll be curious to see what happens...I'm going to try different types in containers, with really good soil. Good luck with the Brandywines...you'll love them! They're my all time favorite...they're often called "The tomato all others are judged by" or something like that.

-
Dave
by Sorellina on April 13, 2006 12:45 AM
Dave,

Of all the cherries we grew last year and there were many, if you're looking for a "true tomato taste" like something found in an heirloom beefsteak, the one that closest matches that description is Whippersnapper. It's a dwarf variety, perfect for a pot, only grows 2' tall, covered entirely in blossoms and eventually, fruit. It has pink cherries that aren't sweet, more complex tangy than any cherries I've tasted. If that's what you're after, I can send you some seeds, either now or for next year.

I really hope you like your Black Plum tomatoes. It should be a semi-determinate, not overly tall, but very bushy plant, very productive. The fruit are larger than cherries, about 2 oz, perfect for drying. That's what I use them for mainly and I'm growing them again this year. Do let me know what you think of them.

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by peppereater on April 13, 2006 12:52 AM
Thanks, Julianna! You've been so generous already, I hate to ask, but yes, I'd try the Whippersnapper. Maybe Sungold, too. (I'm being greedy!) For one thing, I'd like to do some things in containers, so a dwarf would be awesome. MAN I can't wait to try those black plums. And to try drying tomatoes...I tried once and wound up with sour rot. I'm going to buy a few more reference books this year.

-
Dave
by peppereater on April 13, 2006 12:54 AM
BTW Julianna, if there's anything you need, let me know! [thumb]

-
Dave
by Deborah L. on April 13, 2006 12:56 AM
This morning I found the first baby tomato ! A little green Celebrity about the size of a marble.
Here we go ! [clappy]

-
 -
by Triss on April 13, 2006 01:12 AM
Very exciting on the tomato. I have yet to have mine sprout. But then it is still quite cool here. I have finally started them though so that is a step in the right direction!

-
 -
by Deborah L. on April 13, 2006 01:19 AM
Bill, thanks for correcting my topic header's typo, that was bugging me !

-
 -
by always2shy on April 13, 2006 08:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
This morning I found the first baby tomato ! A little green Celebrity about the size of a marble.
Here we go ! [clappy]

WTG Deb. I'm happy for you. [clappy]

I haven't had a garden in almost 15 years and "something" made me decide to do it again. I have lots of seedlings ready to go outside but the weather (rain) is not co-operating.

The place I have now used to be a gravel lot and grass grew over the top of it. I have to dig it up by hand (shovel) and the rain makes it heavier. I am not in good health so I do a little bit at a time and I think it will be ready by May. The soil underneath looks pretty good though.

If I can get one thing to grow, I will wet myself.

I am glad for you and your baby matey. lol
by Deborah L. on April 13, 2006 12:32 PM
Thank you, Always. I'm proud of you for getting out to garden whether you feel well or not, and by the way please feel better soon !
If you get one thing to grow, we all want pictures ! LOL ! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by kabuti on April 13, 2006 03:21 PM
Sungold is a good tomatoe, We have planted one about 8 yrs ago & it comes up volunteer every year since & seems to be fairly true even though supposed to be hybrid. I have grown Champion in past & good tomatoe, sounds like they ship same varieties to Fresno. I grow 'Chokes' every year they are basically perennial.They really grow best on the coast where it kind of foggy. When they volunteer once rain starts I dig seedlings & replant them where I want them. I put a big shovel of horse manure in deep hole under where choke planted, they like it. I picked & ate the first of this seasons crop of chokes yesterday. Its hot here & I pamper them, the plants can take up a lot of space we have one about 6ft across & 6ft tall & no sign of stopping. I think can take 2nd season to produce crop sometimes. they will produce smaller & smaller but more numerous chokes for a good while if you keep harvesting or will flower & go to seed. Flowers are spectacular.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: