The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

holes in my yard

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by curious on October 08, 2004 09:04 AM
HELPPP!!!
I have small holes popping up everywhere in my yard and cannot identify what is causing them. They are approximately 2" in diameter. Does anyone have any advise. Thanks and God Bless.
by afgreyparrot on October 08, 2004 02:56 PM
Do they look like this...?
 -

Can you tell how deep they are? The above photo is a hole made by skunks when they dig for grubs. They are only about 4" deep. My daughter has similar holes all over her yard that are bottomless! Her's are from chipmunks (or ground squirrels, whatever you call them!)

By the way...Welcome to the forum!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by curious on October 08, 2004 04:28 PM
Well they seem to be more shallow than yours and a little wider. I just noticed this morning they are all in my flower beds too. We do have a lot of squirrels around hear though jumping around in the trees. Is there a fix?
Thanks for the warm welcome and God Bless You.
by curious on October 08, 2004 04:35 PM
Hi Again, Well my husband just walked in the room and told me that our squirrels are different from ground squirrels and do not eat the same things. He says we don't have ground squirrels here. How did you determine it was skunks - did you finally see them? [gabby]
by afgreyparrot on October 08, 2004 04:40 PM
Most of mine are only about two inches deep, and they kind of go down into a "cone" shape.
Do you ever see any skunks around at night? That's what it sounds like to me. If it was squirrel holes, they'd be DEEP so the squirrels could go down into them.

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by Bill on October 08, 2004 04:41 PM
by afgreyparrot on October 08, 2004 04:59 PM
Don't be picking on me and my skunks! [Big Grin]

This photo is blurry...or maybe it was just me...

-

-
 -
 -
by suzydaze on October 08, 2004 05:53 PM
look for claw marks in the hole area. could be armordillers.

I was getting strange looking hole everywhere. Looked like the dog had dug a little and quit, but was really weird looking for the dog. wasn't enough digging. I thought at first the dog was looking for what had made the hole.

At about the same time I noticed we are getting alot of armordillirs in this area. I looked up to see what they eat. (I had new kittens and didn't want one biting or eatting a kitten) so I looked it up and they eat insects AND they dig for them and they make a shallow hole in the dirt with that tiny snout and if the smell no insects the move over and make another tiny hole about 2 to 4 inches deep, then when they find insects they dig for them, using their snout and a 4 clawed toe (look for 4 claw marks two long in the center and two short on the outter sides ) and you may not see anything but the snout holes. Once I looked up what they ate I knew what was making my holes.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by curious on October 08, 2004 06:03 PM
Well we have both skunks and armadillos in this area. I see a whole lot more armadillos than skunks. We had a big rain last night so I can't check for claw marks today, but I'll be checking that daily. If it is skunks or armadillos, isn't it weird that they just all the sudden started doing this? We've been here for 18 years and this is just happening. And what do you do about it? Thanks so much for your help. God Bless.
by afgreyparrot on October 08, 2004 06:05 PM
Man, that's GOT to be what it is!
Those things hang out in Texas, don't they?

[nutz] And, wasn't there a Texas song by George Strait about "Armadillos By Morning"? [Big Grin]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by curious on October 08, 2004 06:26 PM
[Big Grin] YEAH!!! We do have a lot of them. One time I walked out on the porch at night and one was on my porch and had the nerve to grawl at me.

I've just been reading about them on the net and I feel sure that's what it is. I'm going to check for the claw marks after the rain ends. That will be the sure sign. This forum is terrific.
by curious on October 08, 2004 06:28 PM
Well actually we couldn't decide if it was an armadillo that grawled or a raccoon because I couldn't see it.
by melcon6 on October 08, 2004 11:56 PM
quote:
How did you determine it was skunks - did you finally see them?
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!! She plays with them all the time! [dunno]

quote:
This photo is blurry...or maybe it was just me...
Ahhhhhh, I hate to be the one to tell you this..... and it sure explains alot.....ah ,but Cindy, that's a cat [kitty] Not a skunk!

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by afgreyparrot on October 09, 2004 07:17 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]  -

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum