The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

drainage problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by sam503 on February 22, 2005 08:41 PM
I have a steep slope that water runs down over my drive way and then into a landscape bed, and washes the mulch out into the grass and also erodes the edge. Any idea how to stop the water. where the drain should be and what type od drain.
by mike57 on February 23, 2005 12:57 AM
you might try diging a trench and puting in some septic tank field line the kind with holes in it.then cover with some pea gravel then a small amount of soil on top.the water will sink in the pipe through the holes then be absorbed by the ground under the pipe.i use it in a few spots and it works for me.the pipe is abought 8 inchs around.and it very cheep in cost.this is just one idea i am sure you will get more in here.hope this helps.your friend in gardening.mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by sam503 on February 23, 2005 03:15 AM
thanks for your reply thats a good idea letting the water drain through the pipe into the ground underneath. thanks again
by suzydaze on February 23, 2005 08:35 PM
yeah, I saw that done on one of those DIY programs.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Longy on February 24, 2005 11:52 AM
Sam if the water rushes down the slope, it may have too much pace to go thru the soil into the drain and you may be wasting your time. I have this type of drainage on my place and it only really works where water is laying not flowing quickly across the surface. Can you get a foto of the area? You may need to slow the water down by levelling the area or creating a series of breaks across the slope.
by Longy on February 24, 2005 11:56 AM
Oops. Hit reply too early.
Alternatively you may need a grate with a drain pipe. Like a below groundlevel cement or plastic "box" with a pipe coming from it to the road drain. Thes eare also very easy to install. It just depends on the exact nature of the problem. A foto would help esp showing the fall of the land.
by sam503 on February 26, 2005 09:49 PM
thanks longy for your response. I can work on getting a picture. the grate idea sounds good because the water will get out of the area quicker so the "box" would be at surface level? then a pipe would be at the end of the box to take water away.
by weezie13 on February 26, 2005 10:03 PM
Sam503,

If you need to post some pictures you can go to one of these sites, *and there is other's too, just can't remember the names*....

WebShots
PhotoBucket
Imagestation

And they're FREE to download your pictures too....

Then you can attach the URL from the place you choose, copy and paste the URL, then click on the IMAGE botton, and insert the URL into there.
*there will be a highlighted blue http:/ thing there, either delete it or click your backspace button to get rid of it

I hope this helps..

Weezie

P/S There's some other gardener's that do use pictures alot and maybe able to help you alot better than I did, Afgreyparrot/Cindy, Loz, Jiffy, G~mom, Plants~n~Pots, Carly....tons of them know how and can give you a hand if you need it....If I didn't quite give you the right directions.... [thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by sam503 on February 26, 2005 10:08 PM
furthermore, longy, the area behind the driveway is landscaped and wouldbe diffcult to put breaks in it.
presently there is drainage erosion ruts in the bed where the mulch washes out. with this box idea could i put rocks over top of it to hide it.
by sam503 on February 26, 2005 10:16 PM
thankyou weezie13 for that info. i will try the sites you gave me. if i have any questions how do i get to you or the other for help
by weezie13 on February 26, 2005 11:14 PM
Sam,
Click on the icon with the envelope and 2 people shakin' hands and when the page comes up,
you can type in your message to me and that's called a PM (*Private Message*) and then you can see if they've read your PM or receive it back
if you click on the words "Profile/Messages"
And you can read your PM in the top box, scroll down to the bottom box to see if they're read your post yet!!!!

Or you can always repost on to this topic here,
I've checked my email notification box at the bottom when I reply to you, and the system will notify me by email someone's answered the post here... I'll come back to it!!!! [thumb]
Any of the hostess's can help you too.
We're all in and out around here at all times of the day and night and you're bound to catch one of us on....

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: