The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Big rock now what?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: BIG MISTAKE OVERSEEDING LAST FALL| Next thread: Big Tick Problems »
Back to Thread index
by tamara on February 04, 2005 12:26 AM
Last fall hubby was hired to help with a neighbours foundation which led him to using a back hoe (sp?). Anyway since he had to take it home for the night I got him to haul out a large boulder 2ftX3ftX3ft high.

I placed it where I wanted it but it was too late to decide on plantings so now I have to make a plan.

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want a large rock garden but more or less a small focal point.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by mike57 on February 04, 2005 01:08 PM
post some photos.so we can see what and where you got it placed.then i am sure some of us can help give some ideas on it.your friend in gardening.mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by tamara on February 04, 2005 02:36 PM
I wish I could place a photo but right now the rock is under 5 ft of snow.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by obywan59 on February 04, 2005 06:31 PM
How about a dwarf evergreen in the back like an alberta spruce and maybe a red-twig and yellow twig dogwood for either side [variegated would give added summer interest--cornus sericea 'Hedgerows gold' redtwig w/ gold variegation; cornus sericea 'Silver and Gold' yellowtwig w/ white variegation; cornus sericea 'Variegata' redtwig w/ cream variegation].

Also, maybe some spring bulbs in front w/ annuals after the bulbs fade????

All the shrubs are hardy to zone 3.

The dogwoods are all available from www.forestfarm.com $10 apiece plus shipping.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by BoothX3 on February 07, 2005 11:07 PM
You all have given me some ideas also. My husband works for an irrigation company and they dug up a boulder about the same size. He brought it home on the boom truck and lowered it to where I wanted it placed. I am putting in a second smaller rock garden this spring with it, but I wasn't sure what to plan on or aroung it. I was going to arrange some potted plants and flowers on top because it is flat on top. Any other suggestions for some potted plants or flowers? I have a lot of tulips and didn't know where to put them. Thanks!!!!!

This spring I'll get some pictures posted to show how I used my rock garden to cover up the utility meters, etc.

Nicole

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: BIG MISTAKE OVERSEEDING LAST FALL| Next thread: Big Tick Problems »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: