The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

lettuce question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Lettuce in the A/C| Next thread: lettuce tipping over... »
Back to Thread index
by lilitu on April 02, 2006 03:39 AM
hello all!

i have recently started some Lolla Rosa lettuce leaf seeds inside- and boy are they sprouting all over!! I've been told that since I live in Nebraska (zone 4 or 5) it's hard to
A) transplant lettuce from inside to out
B) Keep it going through hot, [Mad] humid summer
C) keep the rabbits (which are of great abundace in the backyard) at bay

I have never started anything from seed, so any tips would be appreciated to keep the lettuce going through the summer.

Thanks!
lilitu
by art on April 02, 2006 05:30 AM
plant your lettuce in a box
put them outside in partial shade
put box above ground so rabbits can't reach them.
good luck

art
by peppereater on April 02, 2006 07:18 AM
I have similar problems here in Oklahoma. Springtime is so iffy...too hot sometimes, late freezes...I just found out that a friend grows Romaine through the winter! Leaf lettuce can be grown when major frost is past, but mostly ALL lettuce will become bitter and bolt as soon as weather gets hot. I have had good luck with lettuce as a fall crop, planted in late August. I'm going to try lettuce as a container crop this year, and move it around into the shade as the weather warms up...but, it's over 80 degrees here today. Ya just can't win sometimes.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by dodge on April 04, 2006 07:17 AM
Your correct......
Lettuce is a COLD WEATHER CROP.
just like peas and radishes......
Mine is on the window sill right now and we chopped and ate some already.....
I think it would dies if transplanted.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by obywan59 on April 04, 2006 09:01 AM
Maybe, it's different here in Virginia, but I can transplant lettuce here without any problems. I have a gorgeous flat full sitting out in front of my house that's begging to be planted.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by johnCT on April 04, 2006 09:14 AM
I only have experience with leaf lettuce and have never had a problem starting seed indoors and transplanting it.

John - Zone 6
by Longy on April 04, 2006 12:33 PM
Give the plants a drink with liquid seaweed before and after transplanting. It will reduce transplant shock. Ensure the receiving soil is already moist and keep the water up to them afterwards. Lettuce like lots of water.
A piece of masonite or something on the western side while they get established will help prevent the sun from damaging newly transplanted seedlings, or prop up a piece of shadecloth over the bed and a heavy straw mulch will keep the soil cool and allow a longer growing period before they want to bolt to seed.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Lettuce in the A/C| Next thread: lettuce tipping over... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: