The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cape Honeysuckle Pruning

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by cogitovici on January 17, 2005 08:49 PM
Hi,

We have about a 40-foot wide area of Cape Honeysuckle that we use as a privacy screen. It is against the back of our hill, and is gorgeous. In some areas, it has gotten to be maybe 12-15 feet high, and is really too big and becoming unmanageable. Too, the color on one 20 foot section is not as bright and green as the rest.

A tree trimmer who helps around the property said he would cut them back to about 8 foot high. I have read they can be cut back to the ground or just even a foot and would then fill in at the bottom.

We would like to fill in the entire area. Right now, they hang out over a patio area, and provide wonderful shade in the summer too.

I thought of cutting maybe a third of them very low, and cutting the rest off at about 6-8 feet.

Any idea how they will take to that, and what is a good time of the year/season to do this to get the best regrowth?

Thanks,
Cogito
by catlover on January 18, 2005 03:14 AM
Hey Cogito, can you see me waving from Fallbrook [wayey]

Here are some links Geegeeburr and I were discussing honeysuckle...hope it helps. Right now mine are really doing well....green as can be and a lot of new growth lately.

Tecomaria capensis....cape honeysuckle
2nd link
3rd link shows you what they look like after a mega trimming.

contains info on covering base with dirt

The hummingbirds and orioles just love these shrubs!!! [thumb]

Others may have more advice for you.
Catlover [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by geegeeburr on January 18, 2005 05:34 AM
Hey Cogito!
I'd be interested to hear what you end up doing, and how they come back. I still haven't thinned mine out because our Great Backyard Patio Project is in perpetual stall right now, so I'd really be like to see or hear about your results after you trim them. Have fun!

-
by cogitovici on January 26, 2005 03:27 AM
Wow,

There's some great information there. Thank you so much. I will report back once everything is done and particularly after things start to grow back!

Thank you both very much!
Cogito

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: