The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

It's time again. . .

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: It's the water.....| Next thread: It sprouted woohoo »
Back to Thread index
by BigBoy on April 01, 2006 03:49 AM
Tomorrow, April 1, I will start my 50 tomato plants from seeds in my basement using grow lights, domed heated starter tray and rain water on the peat pellets. I swear every fall I won't do it, but each year I do. I think it's a genetic disease as my great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents were farmers/gardeners. They did it to survive. I don't have an excuse but I truly love to watch those little seeds sprout and grow into 6' plants. I hope I can eat lots of tomatoes again this year but my Dr. told me this morning that I need to cut waaaaaaaaay back on the acidic foods. Acid reflux problems causing me chest pain he says. Bummer.
by comfrey on April 01, 2006 06:32 AM
[thumb] I know the feeling BigBoy, I grow way more then I need, and I end up supplying most of my friends with plants. But there is that certain feeling you get when you see that seed sprouting up. Only garden hearted people know that feeling. Yes it may have something to do with gentitics. My great grandfather grew sweet potoes & plants, People came from all over to buy his plants and sweet potatoes. His daughter my grandmother, I always loved being in the garden with her, and gardening brings fond memories of past times, It is kind of like a spiritual thing also, sense we seem to be soothed by working with the seeds and little seedlings...It is like the first tonic of the new season, that tonic to get you going after a long hard winter of waiting. [muggs]

-
 -
by comfrey on April 01, 2006 06:34 AM
Oh on the acid reflux thing...Do as the doctor says right now, that way you will be in good shape when the tomatoes are ripe and be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Or you could grow low acid tomatoes?

-
 -
by ChristinaC on April 01, 2006 07:47 AM
quote:
Acid reflux problems causing me chest pain he says. Bummer.
Tomatoes are actually an alkaline food. If you google acidic and alkaline foods, you'll see that tomatoes are alkaline.

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 01, 2006 08:49 PM
Hi Bigboy.........
I hope you're going to post your photo's this time...
***YOU'VE GOT A GREAT SET UP***
(go to www.photobucket.com *it's free*
and put on a couple photos' of the 'maters and your lights) [Smile] [thumb] [flower] [Cool]

And on that Acid Reflux thing......
Try some vinegar, or vinegar chips..
*the vinegar will help take down the acid build up*
Do a Google search and type in "Vinegar for Acid Reflux",
you'll find a bunch of URL's that'll take you to places with some home remedies.. and some good reading...

And LET THE GROWING SEASON BEGIN!!!!!!!!! [thumb] [clappy] [grin] [flower]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: It's the water.....| Next thread: It sprouted woohoo »
Back to Thread index