The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

tomato plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: tomato plants| Next thread: tomato plants »
Back to Thread index
by bootscootengal2 on April 01, 2006 02:30 AM
can i plant in smaller pots, then transplant as they grow? not looking for huge crop, just hubby and i, plus few friends.

thanks
joyce
by obywan59 on April 01, 2006 02:40 AM
Yes, in fact that's what is recommended for tomatoes. I started my 7 early tomatoes in small individual pots about 1 1/2 by 2 inches then transplanted them into 4 inch nursery liners and finally into 8 inch nursery liners. When you transplant into bigger pots break off all but the top few leaves and bury the stem as deep as possible as new roots will form along the stem.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Deborah L. on April 01, 2006 02:48 AM
What are nursery liners? I've never heard that term before.

-
 -
by bootscootengal2 on April 01, 2006 02:49 AM
thanks obywan,lllllllllllol. love the name. now how do i know when they have outgrown each container? they are in 2 in pots right now and about 5 inches tall.

thanks
joyce
by obywan59 on April 01, 2006 03:35 AM
I would say they're probably big enough for their first transplanting now. Try moving up to 4 inch pots. Since they're so tall, instead of plant straight up in the pot, you may have to curve the stem around some in order to get the maximum amount of stem underground. This will greatly improve the root system later.

-
Terry

by peppereater on April 01, 2006 11:39 PM
I start my toms in the little 6 packs, and plant directly in the garden, but it's almost time to plant out here. They take off like crazy as soon as the soil gets warm...more time under lights doesn't make a lot of difference, but it makes some.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by obywan59 on April 02, 2006 12:20 AM
Dave's right, if you're nearing your frost free date, you can just as easilly save a step by planting your tomatoes outside, burying them up to the top leaves. Just make sure you harden them off well first.

-
Terry

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: tomato plants| Next thread: tomato plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: