The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

patchy lawn

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: patchy lawn?| Next thread: Path on a hill »
Back to Thread index
by manx on June 30, 2004 07:13 PM
havnt had much rain recently creating apatchy lawn of small almost bare patches in between scragy growths with some tall shoots.is it better to cut it all low or let the bare areas fill out a bit first?

m.g.bloom
by frustratedattimes on July 01, 2004 04:21 PM
Manx,
What kind of grass do you have? Is it a cool weather or hot weather grass? Is it in the shade or sun? Also, have you made sure you do not have pests destroying your grass?

As for cutting it, you should never cut more than 1/3 of the total grass height for healthy lawn.

You might try raking up the brown spots to loosen the soil, putting down a good starter fertilizer, then put some seed down, lightly cover the seed with some wheat straw and keep it watered. The spots will fill in(at least for now depending on what kind of grass it is).

Hope this helps

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by Phil and Laura on July 04, 2004 06:42 PM
[Big Grin] We had alot of brown bare spot's in our yard. We roughed up the lawn and simply threw down some seed. The grass seed we used was 5 year's old. Came up perfectThen we hd to re-seed where they buried the line to our furnace and we used new seed...it came up spotty. [dunno] [dunno]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: patchy lawn?| Next thread: Path on a hill »
Back to Thread index