The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lilacs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Lilacs| Next thread: Lilacs »
Back to Thread index
by justbeginning on April 24, 2005 03:17 AM
I currently live in central Florida, but was born and raised in Indiana. We had "old-fashioned" or "common" lilacs around our house, as well as one or two other varieties which didn't have quite as wonderful scent. My mother just sent me some of the blossoms from the common lilac and I can't stop wishing I could grow some here. Unfortunately, not only do I live in an area too warm, but I also live in an apartment.

Does anyone know of a variety that will survive in my zone (9), and in a large pot or bucket for 4-5 years until I can transplant it and has a scent close to that of the common lilac (Syringa vulgaris, I believe)? I know the answer is probably no, but here's hoping.

Thanks for your help!!
by tamara on April 24, 2005 05:05 PM
I've done a little research for you. There is a dwarf lilac growing only 3-4 ft in height called 'Colby's Wishing star' it is a pink lilac with a sweet smell and is considered a southern growing lilac for zone 9. This should be able to be grown in a very large pot. Good luck.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Lilacs| Next thread: Lilacs »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: