The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How do you....?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: how do u check temps??| Next thread: how do you change colors? »
Back to Thread index
by The Plant Doc on December 17, 2004 10:25 PM
Howdy folks,
I am trying to create a bank of ideas that people do to keep deer and other critters from munching on your landscape and gardens during both the growing season and winter months. Old wives tales are more then welcome. They don't even have to work. I am just looking for whatpeople have tried.

Thanks in advance

Mike

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by geegeeburr on December 17, 2004 11:25 PM
The only one I know is the one that probably everybody knows, which is peeing wherever you don't want them to go.

-
by Dixie Angel on December 18, 2004 12:13 AM
We buy "deer corn" and set it out in the back 3 acres during the winter. During the Spring we have never had deer eat our vegetable garden or my plants! Maybe they figure they better not go where they are not wanted or they might lose out on their free meal! [Wink]

Dianna

-
 -
by Longy on December 18, 2004 02:19 AM
The japanese use/used a bamboo deer scarer.
Google "bamboo deer scarer" for more info.
They're great as a moving water feature in a pond.
by weezie13 on December 29, 2004 11:46 PM
I must have missed this one...

There's several things that can be used to deter them..
Hanging bars of scented soaps,
Planting plants on the outer perimeter that they would have to walk thru to get into the gardens,
like, alliums and mints, that would exume a smell when they trample thru them...
***the deer need to be able to smell prey that's around or stalking them, and if they trample thru or eat things that masks their ability to smell them. **Now if starving, that rule may not apply**
Also poisnous ones too, like daffodils.....

Also, laying down like a plastic fencing in front of or behind your garden, when walking, deers want to have a steady footing. If they walk onto the the plastic fencing in one place, first it feels funny under their feet and second, it will wiggle down a bit connecting to the spot that they stepped on, will move, and startle them.....

Yep, I've heard of the peeing one too, everytime you're out in your garden to mark your scent where you can..

There's a few others too....
I'll finish this one up tonight, got another
Christmas dinner I have to cook!!! [Roll Eyes]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by LaurieAnn on January 02, 2005 04:00 PM
We interplant aromatic herbs, which really seems to help. Of course, having an almost 100-lb german shepard might be part of the reason the deer stay away. LOL!
by suzydaze on January 06, 2005 07:58 PM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] No wonder I have never had deer. Hubby's like a dog out there marking. I think he thinks he can't go out side with out doing it. [Roll Eyes]

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Dixie Angel on January 07, 2005 03:05 PM
Suzy, you ought to have him "mark" on your compost pile! Tell him to quit wasting it! [Big Grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by suzydaze on January 07, 2005 03:28 PM
Dixie Angel

He wouldn't listen to me [Big Grin] [Big Grin] he just whips it out and goes where he wants to.

Is it good for the compost pile?

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Jiffymouse on January 07, 2005 03:43 PM
must be from living out in the woods, 'cause my husband never did it till we move to the woods... now [Roll Eyes]
by Dixie Angel on January 07, 2005 04:07 PM
I have read that it is a form of liquid nitrogen, Suzy. [teacher] What does the queen of compost say about this? Weezie? [Wink]

Dianna

-
 -
by weezie13 on January 07, 2005 04:33 PM
As far as I've ever understood [teacher] it's an
equivelant as horse, rabbit, chicken manure or any manure/urea....

I think it's just the difference of where you live, in the country or city/town where you
CAN [thumb] PEE ON THE PILE AND YOU [Frown] CAN'T/ [tongue] SHOULDN'T [shocked]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: how do u check temps??| Next thread: how do you change colors? »
Back to Thread index