The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Holes in my yard, only BIG!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: holes in my yard| Next thread: Holes in Rose Leaves? »
Back to Thread index
by Betty Jo on May 09, 2004 11:54 PM
I've got mound-like mountains of black hard dirt, some 9 in. tall. When mowing just now I would kick them over and there are holes big enough to drop a coke can through inside. Some of them, however, are not that big but they are all pretty scary looking. I've had people say they could be everything from spiders (of which we've seen some really big boys run by) to crawdads ("come on over we'll boil them up"?? surely not in my yard) Anyway, they are very unsightly, not to mention terrible for my mower. My neighbors have a few but I've got the majority, lucky me. Help!

Wag, wag, wag
by Jiffymouse on May 10, 2004 12:16 AM
uh, betty jo? how about armidillos? had them a while back at our last place. awful! almost broke an ankle in one of those holes! only way to get rid of them (that i know of) is to shoot them!! (that's what we did!)
by Betty Jo on May 10, 2004 01:27 AM
I don't think they are armadillos. I have 2 goldens and board others in my home so should know if there was an animal that big in the front yard. (Not that they would help at all but would at least bark as they bark at anything bigger than a hummingbird) Also, the only ones we see around here are roadkill (Icky, but true) out by farms and pastures. It is SO driving me crazy. No signs of whatever it is in the back yard at all. My front area also feels spongy when you walk on it. Weird, huh? Grass looks pretty good under the weeds we are trying to control and we dont' over water (can't, water is too high here) just can't figure it out.

Wag, wag, wag
by Jiffymouse on May 10, 2004 01:32 AM
well, i had two large dogs and neither one barked about the armadillo because they are nocturnal, and the dogs were put up at night. and we lived in the city limits. we got away with shooting it because the chief of police lived next door and he and his wife wanted rid of it as bad as we did. caught it out right at dusk after about 3 months of trying.
by 4Ruddy on May 24, 2004 01:18 AM
I would bet money (except I don't bet) that you have crawdads! Your yard being spongy is because of poor drainage and that is what they are attracted to. Do you notice more holes after a rain? We have the exact problem and never saw one of the little pests..until we had our building sprayed for termites...and the chemical soaking into the ground made a few of them come out of the holes! Once you have a good crew of them, they are difficult to get rid of until you get the yard to drain better. Our yard has what they call a "hard plate" under it causing the water not to drain well, or at all...and those little boogers love it!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by rturick on June 02, 2004 07:22 AM
I, too, have crawdads! My son and I have been out at night trying to catch them. Almost had one tonite! I'm not really sure what I'd do with it after I caught it though. I do know that I would NOT eat it! Anyway, I did find a site that had traps and a chemical that you could use...it's www.bugspray.com I also know that they can get out of control really quickly and cause some major destruction, so far mine aren't that bad. Good Luck!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: holes in my yard| Next thread: Holes in Rose Leaves? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: