The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Growing Garlic

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Thornius on October 13, 2005 10:07 AM
Can you grow garlic in large buckets or pots on a porch or patio and if so how and when do you plant and harvest it. (I have a SEVERE garlic addiction and there is not enough in the stores to satisfy my cravings.) [dunno] [shocked]

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by papito on October 13, 2005 08:52 PM
Yes, I have grown garlic in 13" & 17" plastic pots, this year, I am growing ginger instead.

Tips from Sunset Vegetable Gardening Book:

quote:
Garlic needs a sunny spot with rich , well drained soil, pH range of 5.0 to 6.8. Select only the biggest cloves, ones with pieces of root attached, for planting.

In mild winter climate, you can set out cloves in autumn. In cold-winter climates, set out cloves in early spsring.

Set the cloves of common garlic one inch deep, 4 to 8 inches apart. Plant cloves with pointed ends up.

Keep soil moist and pinch off any blossoms that form. When leaf tips start to turn yellowish brown, stop watering and press foliage flat to the soil. This prevents flowering and hastens maturation of the bulbs. Harvest bulbs when leaves are mostly brown [about 6 to 10 months after planting].

To harvest, lift the bulbs carefully using a hand trowel [use spading fork, if planted in-ground]. Let the bulbs dry outdoors in the sun until the skins are papery [about 3 weeks]. Remove dirt and cut off most of the roots, then store [braided or loose] in a cool, well-ventilated place away from direct sunlight.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Jiffymouse on October 13, 2005 10:15 PM
awesome info papito! thank you [kissies]
by tkhooper on October 15, 2005 09:26 AM
Love garlic!!!!!!!

I'm growing it from seed. Any additional hints or tips for me?

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on October 15, 2005 09:43 AM
hooper...I'm gonna get the cloves out to you tomorrow.
The other seeds I'm sending aren't ready, but thought you might need the garlic gloves to get them in the ground...so gonna go ahead and drop 'em in the mail tomorrow.

Cindy Faye

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by tkhooper on October 15, 2005 10:05 AM
No hurry sweet thing. I'm doing fine with the garlic from seeds. At least I think I am lol. I've got tops on all the onion family stuff so I figure I'm in good shape lol. So what do I know? Which kind of garlic do you have? I have of course forgotten. Why I remember my name is the real question lol. Hope you are doing really well.

-
 -
by Thornius on October 18, 2005 01:14 PM
I hear elephant garlic is best.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Jiffymouse on October 18, 2005 10:11 PM
i've heard that to thorny. but i've never seen any!
by papito on October 18, 2005 10:27 PM
Info about Elephant Garlic

More info on
Growing Garlic

Edit:
Just a thought, would it better serve other members if this thread is in the HERB section?

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
by Jiffymouse on October 18, 2005 10:35 PM
yah know, papito, you are right, and here it goes!
by herbalKen on October 19, 2005 12:32 AM
Note in the Growing Garlic site posted by papito of the depth suggested, especially of Elephant Garlic, I will attest that 3 to 4 inches deep is certainly where you want to be. They are amazing, I plant about this time of year, and have wonderful results. I have planted at unusual times of the year, just for experimental sake, and it seems you just can't go wrong with garlic. Once I wanted to plant some extra that I had left over in February, and I went out and chopped away at frozen soil until I got down a few inches to some workable depth (ha, I had the winter blues) and planted several garlic cloves, and wouldn't you know it, when warm weather came, they grew and ended up producing fabulous garlic [Smile] I have since then come to my senses, and no longer plant anything during the cold of February, but it was a fun mid-winter experiment.

Ken
by obywan59 on October 23, 2005 02:49 PM
I just planted my garlics the other day. I had my best crop ever this year. I didn't use any granular fertilizer at all, just Spray-n-Grow and Bill's Perfect Fertilizer. They loved it!

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tkhooper on October 23, 2005 11:54 PM
Elephant Garlic I found to be a little to mild for my tastes but that could just be me. I'm being very patient with my garlic and it seems to be doing well. The funny thing is that the wild onions that I thought I had moved has also come up in the same area so It's going to be lots of fun next year digging everything up and finding out how much I have of each thing.

Now I am curious about some of the things I see done commercially with garlic. For example the garlic powder, garlic salt, minced garlic, garlic juice. Is there a place I can find out how to do that for my garlic? Fresh garlic is great but just being one person I can't use all that I grow while it is fresh.

-
 -
by papito on October 24, 2005 05:28 AM
Here you go TKH,

Preserving
Garlic

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
by ChristinaC on October 24, 2005 05:41 AM
TK..I feel the same about the elephant garlic. It has a milder taste.
And like you Thornius....I can't remember the last meal I've had that didn't have garlic in it...and lots of it!!
Thanx Papito for all the info!
Christina

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: