The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My name is Billy and I'm a compostaholic.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: My Mums...(Pics)| Next thread: My ND farm »
Back to Thread index
by detectorbill on March 20, 2006 11:56 AM
Ya'll have created a monster! I'm going crazy with this composting thing. First year i've ever done it but i'm hooked already. Quick question, whats the deal with the compost in the bag at lowes. About a $1.50. It says compost and cow manure. Is it any good??? Also, anyone ever use Kricket Krap? Local company I guess??

I feel more like I do now than I did before I ever felt this way.
by Francine on March 20, 2006 01:26 PM
hello Billy,

how are you,welcome to the forum as i see you re almost brand new.

being from quebec,canada i don t have your stores but i know manure is always good,though don t take 100 per cent my word and don t go put it now;i m sure a better gardener than me will come along shortley,my advice also is to go to the banter hall on the coffee house(ch) ,they must be at 420-30ish by now and you just ask your question ther ,there s always someone there to answer you right away.

good luck.

Franny

http://photobucket.com/albums/d23/fv1962/
by peppereater on March 20, 2006 11:25 PM
Bill...or Billy, rather! [Big Grin] [wavey]
Don't expect much from those bags of "Compost." There's no guarantee that it's really composted anything. I've used it before, and it's probably better than cheap "topsoil," but I'd think of it as being more filler than fertilizer. For that price, though, it's worth using, but add mushroom compost or bloodmeal, and bone meal, etc. to your planting sites to make sure you get your nutrients. I also use an organic product from Epsoma that Lowe's carries, it's in 8 or 10 lb. bags, and has a very nice range of nutrients and micro-nutrients. I forget the name, but they have several products from Epsoma if you look.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by johnCT on March 20, 2006 11:41 PM
Yeah, I agree with Dave. I would spend the extra couple bucks a bag and get the dehydrated manure if you're just looking for a soil amendment. Of course, homemade compost is best of all. No question on what's in it that way!

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on March 20, 2006 11:50 PM
John...the bagged cow manure, or steer manure, I see around here is usually cheap, but it doesn't seem to grow much of anything. Is there a particular one you've used?

-
Dave
by johnCT on March 21, 2006 07:33 AM
Whatever wally world carries. Its usually 2x the price of the bagged compost. I've used it in the spring when I turn the soil over in the garden the last two years. What do you mean by "grow anything" Dave?

John - Zone 6
by duckie on March 21, 2006 08:28 AM
Quick question, whats the deal with the compost in the bag at lowes.

Hi Billy, [wavey] and welcome!

I dunno about that compost at lowes or anywhere.I've asked.They are just workers there I guess. [Roll Eyes]

My advice is,make as much
as you can.
It wont be enough.But you'll know what you're putting in your soil.

And you'll be inspired to turn and add to your compost in the dead of winter!

good luck new friend, [grin]

Shari

-
 -
by MissJamie on March 21, 2006 08:41 AM
I don't think I'd buy manure from a store when I can get it free from a farm or something...that way you KNOW what you're getting and it's the best price....FREE! just go up to a farm if you have one by you or go to somebody that owns a cow pasture and ask if you can get a load of manure for your garden! I'm sure they'll answer yes...I already got permission from on of our friends and she said I could take it away by the truck load [Smile] just make sure that it's been sitting for a while (atleast a year I'd say) because if it's fresh it will more than likely burn your plants. good luck and welcome to the forum!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by detectorbill on March 21, 2006 08:55 PM
Thanks all, i've started my pile a few weeks ago, my family thinks i'm crazy cause I freak out when I find a banana peal in the trash! I do lawn care on the side and get all the goods I want as far as greens and leaves. Forgot to clean my mower last season and believe the packed grass I removed is compost! Looks like it anyway.

by johnCT on March 21, 2006 10:10 PM
Bill, one thing you might want to think about is collecting grass clippings from lawns that are being treated with herbicides and pesticides. Some have long residuals in the soil and can be transferred to your compost pile. [teacher]

John - Zone 6
by detectorbill on March 22, 2006 01:08 PM
Great point John, thanks everyone, HAPPY SPRING!!!

by patches1414 on March 22, 2006 06:29 PM
Hi Bill,

Last year, I used the compost and cow manure from Lowes that you're talking about to fill in some spots that had washed away on my lawn. It took about 18 bags and maybe it's not the best there is, but it was the quick fix I needed so I could get the grass seed planted. In the long run, I would have to say I was pleased with the results and it seemed to work better than just plain top soil. [thumb]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by peppereater on March 23, 2006 02:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
What do you mean by "grow anything" Dave?
I mean, it didn't do much for fertility. When I used it in a few spots as my primary soil amendment, my plants did poorly.

-
Dave
by detectorbill on March 30, 2006 01:20 PM
ANTS are in my compost pile? Whats the best way to get rid of them? I'm an old bug guy but pesticides probablly not the best idea. Any tips are appreciated.

by peppereater on March 30, 2006 11:40 PM
I wouldn't worry about the ants unless they're harming something else. If you need to turn the pile, you might just turn a few scoops and then wait till they settle down and then turn some more...you might drive them away that way.
They just might be helping some, though, by helping aerate the pile.

-
Dave
by dodge on March 31, 2006 11:12 AM
Manure, manure, coming from a cattle farmer, I share my tales or (Tails)......Cow manure is the best compose for any garden..Or any field. Did you ever wonder why we spread the fresh Manure on our fields? In our area, folks fight for a free load of manure........
I myself use the rotted down manure for all my flowers....They cant be beat ..

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My Mums...(Pics)| Next thread: My ND farm »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: