The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

gardenias

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Gardenias| Next thread: Gardenias »
Back to Thread index
by jannelson on November 25, 2004 11:54 PM
I started getting these black spots on them in july or august, then sprayed them,then they kept coming back,kept spraying,thought they would die in winter,but no I seem to keep having them. Is there anything I can plant in with them to keep the (mealybugs?) away. I hate having to spray them with chemicals?
by mom54 on November 26, 2004 08:32 PM
Hi, are you sure they are mealy bugs? Gardenias are very susceptible to white flies. Anyway, first,you can hit the shrub with a blast from your hose, both sides. Make sure you give it a good shot. Also, I have used insecticidal soap. It won't hurt anything but the critters you want out of the way. If it is very infested, hopefully, someone who knows more than I do can help you out. (Hey, Papito, Phil, Bill)
Good Luck [grin]

-
by jannelson on November 27, 2004 01:34 AM
I took a sample to my nusery, and patrick said it was aphids. I keep spraying them and washing them off with the hose, the weather has turned cold so I thought they would die for the winter, but it seems there are more now than in the summer. Is there anything I can plant or put in with them to keep the critters away? I don't want to hurt the dogs,cats,or other animals I have in the yard.
by weezie13 on November 28, 2004 02:58 AM
Jannelson,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!
We are very glad you found us!!!!

Can I ask a question or two about how you
are growing your gardenia's???

Usually a rule of thumb when a plant gets aphids, there's something that's not met in it's growing area and/or supplies, sometimes it's met with too much of it too????....

The plant when something isn't quite right, sends
out signals or an oder or something, I'm not sure in plant lingo, but the bugs/pests know it and attack it...feeding on fast growing new growth.

Now, I'm not a gardenia grower, again, maybe someone who does grow them can help you alot better than I can...

But wondering what the plant is planted in?
ie; ground, pot/container....
ie; what type of soil you have it in???
ie; what are you feeding it or not feeding it??
(fertilizer, organic, water soluable or was there some type of fert in soil???)
ie; what are your watering practices, how much, etc.???
ie; and sun, how much, what kind, shade, etc..

Usually aphids are found on new growth, and sometimes that's from too much nitrogen *green growth*
Or if it needs more water, or something...

If you can answer some of the questions above,
maybe someone can also be a bit further assistance.

Weezie

P/S Don't forget to look around while you're here, we've got a nice little recipe section and crafts and hobbies section and Banter Hall for chatting and getting to know the other members....
And the Game Room, there's lot's to do there in the winter months!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on November 28, 2004 06:24 PM
This is Jannelson's post, I moved into here to keep the same discussion on the gardenia plant on...

jannelson
Gardener
Member # 4168

posted November 28, 2004 11:12 AM
-----------------------------------------
lets see if I can answer all the questions.My plant is in an old whiskey barrel that is in my backyard. Its in the center of the yard between two mesquite trees. It gets noon sun but is shaded in the morning and afternoon. In the summer I was watering it two to three times a week depending on the temp. I planted it in potting soil and feed it with schultzfood.Now that the weather has turned cold,it seems that I have more bugs each day. Do I need to take it out of the barrel and put in something different? Am I feeding it right? whats up ? I also have lots of blooms now too,whats upwith that?I wanted it to bloom in the summer for the wonderful smell of the blossoms.
---------------------------------------
Posts: 3 | From: tucson az. | Registered: Nov 2004 | IP: Logged |

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on November 28, 2004 06:43 PM
Hi Jannelson,
Well, my first guesss would be the fertilizer...
What are the numbers on the container???

Usually if the first number is higher, that'll be your culprit....too much green growth.

I have PM'd Jiffymouse, I think she grows that plant and hopefully she can shed some more light on to growing your plant....

Weezie

Here's some growing information from Bill's Site here, Growing Gardenia Plants/Gardenia jasminoides

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Gardenias| Next thread: Gardenias »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: