The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Croton bugs???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Croton blooms/seeds?| Next thread: croton problem »
Back to Thread index
by Trudy on November 01, 2004 10:15 PM
I have a new Croton plant and as I was watering it I noticed some little critters in the dirt of it. The bug looked redish brown with a cream colored bottom end. There are no webs on the plant itself and there are no bugs on the plant, just in the dirt. Can anyone tell me what this little bug might be and how should I get rid of it??? Thank you [Smile]
by catlover on November 01, 2004 11:52 PM
With the color description I'm not so sure... could they be fungus gnats? Do they fly?

-
 -
 -
by Trudy on November 03, 2004 03:36 AM
Thank you for your response.... no they don't fly. I poked around in the dirt and the little bugs went down in the dirt. I looked under the leaves as well and nothing there, just in the dirt. They look like a little spider kind of, it's the color that is confusing me. Any suggestions?? Thank you [Smile]
by catlover on November 03, 2004 06:57 PM
Hmmm...don't know what to tell you...yeah that color thing...the only thing I can think of is fungus gnats and they crawl all over the surface and then go hide under the soil or begin to fly around. Could it just be too early for them to fly? Spider mites as far as I know are usually ON the plant.
[dunno] I dunno....maybe when buglady comes through she can help you.....you know what...you can PM her and I am sure she would be more than willing to help you...she is a very nice lady! Let us know what you find out....now I am very curious. Describe it to her in as much detail as you can...number of legs, wings, where it hangs out, habits, size, antenneas (sp?)...etc...more info the better.
Do you know how to PM??? :Duh:If not we can help you out!
Catlover

-
 -
 -
by Trudy on November 04, 2004 05:14 AM
I have had the chance to get a really good look at this little critter and the more I looked at it, it doesn't look like a spider. I think your right with the aphid thing. Do you have any suggestions as to how I get rid of them before they get any worse. I have this plant in the kitchen away from all of my other plants which are in the livingroom. Thank you [Smile]
by catlover on November 04, 2004 03:40 PM
quote:
I think your right with the aphid thing
Did I mention aphids??? Did you mean fungus gnats? [dunno]

If it was the fungus gnats you were referring to go to the top of the page where there is a little box and it says google....type in fungus gnats and there are several threads that pertain to these little stinkers. There are several methods so if you don't like using chemicals there are alternative things you can do. Takes time to get rid of them just be patient. Let me know if you have any troubles finding the threads and keep us updated on what worked/or didn't work for you....just pull up this thread and add on.
If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. That is why we are all here....we all help each other.
Catlover

-
 -
 -
by Trudy on November 05, 2004 06:42 PM
OOOPPPS!! I did mean gnats, NOT aphids, sorry for the mix up... Thank you sooooo much for all the help that you have given me. Your AWSOME!! Have a great day and take care [Smile] [wayey]
by catlover on November 05, 2004 06:52 PM
Your very welcome... don't forget to bring this thread back up and report back in as to what worked for you! We like updates .... we all learn from others!!! [thumb]

Have a great day!
Catlover [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by Buglady on November 23, 2004 08:58 AM
Fungus gnat larva are cream colored maggots with dark heads. You usually find them close to the roots, because that is what they are feeding on. The adults fly around the soi.

Can you count their legs? That would tell me a lot. I highly doubt they are aphids ... they may be some little harmless soil dweller living of the breaking down soil.

Do you have a hand lens to get a closer look? Could they be Thrips? Is your new grows distorted? Thrips love crotons. The immature Thrips can be found on the new growth, feeding, which causes deformed leaves. They drop to the soil to pupate and then the adult emerges and climbs back up on the plant. They are very tiny and cigar shaped.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Croton blooms/seeds?| Next thread: croton problem »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: