The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

rabbits

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Rabbits| Next thread: rabbits?...and what's to be done? »
Back to Thread index
by Sable on March 10, 2006 08:00 AM
Hi! I am new to this forum so forgive me if this subject has already been covered a hundred times. I live in the city and have a small lot with very little space with full sun (due to neighbors letting mulberries grow out of control!) I have worked with perennials for years so edibles is new to me - so is starting seeds and planting baby plants. I have many concerns because it is all new, but my question initially is RABBITS are a problem here. They ate every single columbine last spring as it was coming up. My first baby plants will be lettuce, basil, thyme, and marjoram. I am considering putting the lettuce and basil in a plastic containers to keep them away from the critters. Is this a good idea? What is the best procedure for planting lettuce in containers? Thanks for your help!
by weezie13 on March 10, 2006 08:54 AM
Do you have a Tractor Supply store near you??
I found some "Rabbit Fencing, that was quite reasonable at my local store.. *I used it for other projects but you could put up a sectioned area around some containers to do your gardening in..*
Here's a picture of some Swiss Chard I did, in just a regular like flower box for $5.oo from either Wal~mart or Family Dollar Store..
*had to drill holes in it, for drainage*
 -
Here's a picture of the Rabbit Fencing, and a project I used it for, *Sweet peas*
 -
But it'll give you a couple of ideas for fencing,
buckets, containers.. etc..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Greenthumb newbee on March 10, 2006 03:38 PM
Why not try chicken wire (fencing) cost less money then that and it will work just fine.

another Idea is some Lattice fence and it looks pretty. Also great for flowers\vine plants.
by mater sandwich on March 10, 2006 10:08 PM
First, I'm no pro.
Here is what I have found and been contemplating over the last few weeks.

Rabbit fencing has the vertical wires exposed on the bottom side of the fence which allows you to push them into the ground effectively stopping the critters from pushing under the fence.

Chicken wire or other fencing might work if fastened down with tent stakes or a similar means. Another option may be to dig a trench and bury the bottom of the fence 4 to 6 inches.

Just my 2 cents.

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....
by weezie13 on March 10, 2006 10:23 PM
The rabbit fencing also has several extra horizontal wires on the bottom half so they can't squeeze in thru the fencing too..

(like say the inches between the levels of fencing on the bottom is say 1/2", while on the top half they are easily 2 or 2 1/2"...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by mater sandwich on March 10, 2006 10:37 PM
I forgot about that one. When talking about chicken fence (or duck tape) I am reminded of a joke I've told for years. I'll have to post it somewhere "down below".

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....
by weezie13 on March 10, 2006 10:40 PM
Plus, you can let the grass grow up and around
the base of the fencing, some of that grass can get big and won't let much thru the bottom
with out alottttttt of effort to get in..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Deborah L. on March 12, 2006 09:46 AM
I love my backyard "rabs" and feed them wild birdseed and quartered apples every night.
Just wanted to say that I am very impressed with all of you -no one mentioned killing the rabbits ! Kudos ! [clappy]

-
 -
by Sable on March 12, 2006 10:03 AM
Thanks for your ideas. Yes there is a tractor supply a little out of the city. I like the containers idea. But there will be more veggies than I can container. I do have a cool idea for tomatos and carrots though - I obtained some 55 gallon steel drums last fall from my work to use for planters. They are too tall for rabbits to get into and my dogs cant pee on the plants. I wont have to bend over so I am looking forward to using these. And speaking of killing rabbits, my dogs take care of the ones in the back yard. I have had to rescue baby ones from time to time.
by Deborah L. on March 12, 2006 10:47 AM
What does "take care of the ones in the backyard" mean? The dogs kill them?

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rabbits| Next thread: rabbits?...and what's to be done? »
Back to Thread index