The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

garlic

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Garlic| Next thread: Garlic.... How to? »
Back to Thread index
by ladybug67 on March 09, 2006 10:49 AM
I planted the garlic last season but it got to cold. So didn't get to see or have any. But this would be my first time and not to sure what to do. Do i just leave it their in the ground for this season?? Any help would be great!!!! Dee

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol
by Amigatec on March 09, 2006 10:52 AM
I think I would leave it and see what is does.

Garlic is like onions, both are two years plants.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by PAR_Gardener on March 09, 2006 12:26 PM
When did you plant your garlic? Garlic is winter hardy and needs a cold period of several weeks to break dormancy and develop good roots. If you planted it in the spring of last year and it didn't come up, then it probably will not come up this year. It's best to plant garlic in the fall.

I plant mine in October, and if there is a warm snap in December, the garlic sprouts. It will get snowed on, but it survives. I got a pretty good crop last year. I think I posted some pictures.

What did you use for your "seed" garlic? Did you order cloves or just use cloves that you bought from the supermarket. Supermarket garlic can be months old by the time you buy it, and not the best option for planting in your garden.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by Longy on March 09, 2006 04:24 PM
Supermarket garlic can also be sprayed to prevent it from shooting on the shelves. It adds to shelf life. I use either stuff i grew myself last year or order cloves from an organic seed supplier etc.
Did you know, when you break up the garlic into individual cloves for planting, it must have a section of the original root system ( the basal plate) still on the clove, or it won't grow. So when breaking up the knob, any that don't have basal plate on them, should be used in the kitchen, (or for making sprays or keeping vampires away or whatever you use it for;-)

-
The secret is the soil.
by johnCT on March 09, 2006 09:15 PM
I think you'll be OK. Garlic needs to be planted in late Oct/early Nov in the northeast for summer harvest the following year.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Garlic| Next thread: Garlic.... How to? »
Back to Thread index